Lying on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MangoMan1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm not a doctor nor do I have any desire to be one but I have a friend that really wants to. My friend was in a postbacc program but did poorly and ended up failing out and is now considering applying to Caribbean schools. However, my friend says he won't put on his application that he was in the postbacc. My friend didn't take any loans. Something about this just seemed wrong so I was wondering:

Do Caribbean schools have any way of knowing whether he failed his postbacc?
Even if they did know, would they probably take him anyway?
If they found out he lied, would he get expelled?
How would this affect his residency placement?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I'm not a doctor nor do I have any desire to be one but I have a friend that really wants to. My friend was in a postbacc program but did poorly and ended up failing out and is now considering applying to Caribbean schools. However, my friend says he won't put on his application that he was in the postbacc. My friend didn't take any loans. Something about this just seemed wrong so I was wondering:

Why do you care? Its not going to affect you in anyway, that I can tell you for sure!

Why do you care? Its not going to affect you in anyway, that I can tell you for sure!

True. I was just curious and, well, more than anything else wanted to advise my friend against doing something stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
True. I was just curious and, well, more than anything else wanted to advise my friend against doing something stupid.
If you really want to help your friend, you'll convince him that he's not cut out for medical school if he failed a post-bacc and is now willing to throw his money and life away at a Caribbean school.

Reactions: 4 users

They wont know about his post bacc unless he tells them, Once he is in they wont look to expel him and it wont affect his residency unless he lists those courses They might ask about the gap time

Reactions: 1 user
In all honesty, lying on an application is wrong. If he is forthcoming and explains himself for what happened, that's better than withholding the information, which is 1000% worse especially if they find out. He should take a little time to reevaluate his standing and work on that before moving into applying Caribbean schools, if at least.

Liars always get found out. Eventually. Govern yourself accordingly.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
The short answer is no. The Caribbean programs will not research this and they honestly don't care. It's a risk nevertheless so be sure "your friend" has calculated everything out before moving forward.

Question. If "your friend" failed a post-bacc, how is it that "your friend" is going to apply to medical school?

The short answer is no. The Caribbean programs will not research this and they honestly don't care. It's a risk nevertheless so be sure "your friend" has calculated everything out before moving forward.

Question. If "your friend" failed a post-bacc, how is it that "your friend" is going to apply to medical school?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. He was just gonna apply caribbean and act like he never messed up.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. He was just gonna apply caribbean and act like he never messed up.

"Your friend" completed the pre-reqs elsewhere then? I thought the post-bacc was the pre-reqs?

"Your friend" completed the pre-reqs elsewhere then? I thought the post-bacc was the pre-reqs?

He already did the premed courses in college but his results weren't so good so he did additional courses. Not sure if they were the same courses or not.

Ok, that makes sense then. Yeah I'd apply without it. I mean if he failed it and they can't trace it, why on earth would you list it?

The bigger question is this. If the pre-reqs are not good I think "your friend" will have a hard time getting into one of the more legitimate schools. If "your friend" is applying to a lesser school, I would advise against that as they are dead ends. Trust me, I know...I've been there. They are dead ends.

If "your friend" is going Caribbean, it should really only be to SGU and then Ross. Both of those schools have enough applicants that they will screen out a lower pre-req GPA right away.

Maybe "your friend" needs to first prove to himself that he is ready for medical school because let me tell you it's harder than whatever they are telling you.

No one believes it isn't you. Why fake it on an anonymous forum?

It's hard enough for qualified AMGs to get a residency right now. This year's match was brutal...

If your friend failed a post-bacc, medical school is going to be infinitely harder. Pursuing this route isn't any different than lighting a bag of money on fire.

Plus there is something called the National Student Clearinghouse. Any and every institution and course taken at an accredited institution will be on there. Chances are the Caribbean school will not care as their attrition rates are very high and will likely become a statistic.