Lying on applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question was on the TPR board and I thought it was intriguing. Basically, a poster posed the question of, aside from the ethical reasons, why shouldn't he just lie on his application. For instance, just claim some volunteer work that he didn't do, or read up on some sort of research project and claim that he did some research in the area, etc... In a nutshell, he was sort of "thinking out loud" that, hey, the process is so competitive, and everyone embellishes to a certain extent anyway, why not me? I got the impression that he thought the adcoms were too busy to ever find out about his lies, (unless of course they were so over the top as to be unbelievable).
Anyway, figured I'd throw it out there for discussion.

:eek: ***Let me just take a quick moment to say that NO, I would never lie on my application and I am IN NO WAY condoning doing it. I'm merely taking a subject from the TPR board and throwing it out to my more enlightened and mature acquaintences here on SDN.*** ;)

Homer J.

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from the ethical and moral considerations that are obvious, a liar will eventually get caught. Always. And the further the lies are propogated (first med school, then residency, then in his or her practice), the more serious the consequences become each step of the way.

I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't live with the fact that I was a fraud. I want the satisfaction of getting into medical school with elbow grease the legitimate and pragmatic way. Plus, you are cheating some one who is actually qualified-- I know we are supposed to be competitive, but really. Also I would probably have an ulcer from worrying about whether they would find out or not. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who lied and got away with it.... he's still boasting about it when I see him.... He got accepted to UCLA.... His conscience is not being eaten or anything.... Lucky bumb!!!

Why lie? Unless you're a pretty good at it, I suggest you don't because it might just come up in your interview.... It's pretty much a death trap if you're ever caught... Kiss you chances good bye or any other reapplication good bye to the particular school you've applied to....

:cool:

I find it both interesting and somewhat discouraging that people even consider lying on their applications just to make themselves look better. I'll post what I posted as a reply on the PR site:

"There are many more reasons NOT to lie than to lie on an application. There is nothing wrong with portraying what you have accomplished in the best possible light, as long as you can verify the information. But outright lying, misrepresentation, or omission is highly unethical, violates the AMCAS agreement, and is against the law in some cases (i.e. on federal and state applications). If someone found out that you had lied, you would be subject to the consequences, which could even include expulsion from medical school. It would be advisable for the said applicant to enhance his/her application through actual activities, rather than risk losing everything by lying."

I would seriously question the motives of anyone who lies on their application. Is this person ethically sound enough to enter the medical profession? Would I want him/her operating on or medicating me? The disregard for ethics would concern me greatly. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.

What is fascinating to me is why anyone would consider cheating in the first place? Why not work hard, take advantage of the opportunities available, and do the very best that you can? I find it much more rewarding to have a sense of true accomplishment. Why taint yourself? Obviously, there are many people who want to take the quick and easy path to success. What else would explain the existence of so many get-rich-quick schemes? Fortunately, just as many of these scams are exposed, medical school applicants who lie or misrepresent information often are discovered. While discouraging, it should remind us that medicine, like any profession, is a human endeavor.

Reactions: 1 user
Here, here!!! Nice reasoning there Vader.... Thanks for sharing that....

Don't forget, you only have to get caught once. Something like that will get around VERY quickly. Besides, if you're motivated enough to do all the work it's taken so far, why risk throwing all that away to cut corners?