Lysine Ubiquitination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsorz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this just make it so chromatin can unfold easier? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does this just make it so chromatin can unfold easier? :confused:

Ubiquitination generally targets proteins for degradation (most of the time on lysines).

As for chromatin unfolding, I don't have any first-hand knowledge of it happening, but it very well could. In general, acetylation of histones (neutralization of the lysine positive charged residue) causes the nucleosome to unravel--this makes chromatin become more accessible. Methylation of histone lysines SOMETIMES has a negative affect on chromatin unfolding.

I think this is how it goes.

As stated, if ubiquitination is mentioned on the MCAT its probably going to be in reference to general protein degradation. There are other functions of protein ubiquitination that you can look up if your interested.

Histone ubiquitination has been associated with transcriptional activation and polar body formation. However, I don't think there is a general consensus on the function(s) of histone ubiquitination. If your really interested You can do a pubmed search and read a review article on the topic ;) .