lysosomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baedero1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
destroyer bio #192

b) lysosomes are found in both plant and animal cells?????

I think it's wrong..please explain..:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I think,it is true because plant is an eukaryoteand all the eukaryotes have Lysosomes.

i read in schaum's or cliffs cant remember which that plants use their vacoules instead of lysosomes...ill read up on it again i cant remember but i think plants should not have lysosomes but wouldnt be surprised if they did...

Members don't see this ad :)
" The existence of lysosomes in plants has long been debated (see, e.g., Moriyasu and Ohsumi 1996 ). Matile 1975 recognized that catabolic enzymes were essential for sustained biological activity and that these enzymes must be compartmentalized to prevent their indiscriminate hydrolysis of biopolymers. He proposed that plant proteases, nucleases, phosphatases, and other degradative enzymes were constituents of a "lytic compartment," a compartment that included the extracellular space, vacuoles, and other organelles containing lytic enzymes. With improved techniques for vacuole isolation, it became clear that many plant vacuoles contain enzymes found in animal lysosomes (Matile 1978 ; Wink 1993 ). Plant vacuoles were therefore seen as fulfilling the role of the animal lysosomal system (Boller and Wiemken 1986 ).
http://www.millerandlevine.com/ques/lysosomes.html

This is debated among cell biologists, some say they do and others say they don't contain lysosomes. However, the general consensus I believe is that they do contain lysosomes because they have to have their degradative enzymes compartmentalized in this lysosome structure. Those that say they do not have lysosomes say that their enzymes are contained in just generalized vacuoles which are not lysosomes. But, most biologists say that these vacuoles are the equivalent to animal lysosomes.

So, yes both animals and plants contain lysosomes. I do know, however; that plants do not have centrosomes.

For standardized testing purposes, I would run with the logic that plant cells are Eukaryotic, and thus will have all the attribues associated with Eukaryotes (membrane bound organelles)....which include Lysosomes. Let the future cell-biologists debate it haha!

PS. Plants have a cell wall though:thumbup:

:p