M.D. acceptance - Success Story - Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherPre-med

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I've been waiting so long to make this post, and there were times when I didn't know if I would ever get to this point. With such great privilege, I'm honored to tell the SDN community that I have committed to a ranked U.S. M.D. school! I graduated undergrad over 4 years ago with a 3.2x GPA. I succumbed to severe financial struggles and my future seemed very uncertain. My parents sacrificed everything in hopes of me getting into medical school. I took loans out to finish a graduate program and spent 6 months studying for the MCAT (got a score very close to the average U.S. M.D. matriculation). After years of research and volunteering, I decided that this past cycle was the appropriate time for me to apply. I was privileged to get a handful of interviews which translated into an Acceptance and a few waitlists. I'm an ORM (over-represented in medicine) with sub-optimal stats, however, I never stopped believing in my dream. I hope my story can be a catalyst for all the other applicants out there, and it can serve as living proof that YOU CAN GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL AS LONG AS YOU DON"T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM. Lastly, the process is a marathon, and you will often meet people who tell you that you Cannot do it. Please don't let these people define your dreams and ambitions. Take your time, and do it the right way. In my humble opinion - I often find people going into medicine for the wrong reasons (money, status, prestige) and they often attempt to take shortcuts. Medicine, in its purest sense, is a profession meant to serve humanity from a holistic perspective. So please do it the right way and with the right intentions. Importantly, apply when you feel like it is the right time rather than rushing it because once again it is a marathon.

Furthermore, I want to take this moment to thank the SDN community. I would not have gotten this far without you all! Each and every one of your replies, likes, and comments helped guide me to this point. I also want to personally thank @Faha @Dr panda @Goro for providing me with valuable information regarding reinventing my application a few years ago.

I will always be committed to contributing to this community and please never hesitate to reach out for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
oh also @Mr.Smile12 thank you as well! I have always found your posts, and advice extremely valuable!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone,
I've been waiting so long to make this post, and there were times when I didn't know if I would ever get to this point. With such great privilege, I'm honored to tell the SDN community that I have committed to a ranked U.S. M.D. school! I graduated undergrad over 4 years ago with a 3.2x GPA. I succumbed to severe financial struggles and my future seemed very uncertain. My parents sacrificed everything in hopes of me getting into medical school. I took loans out to finish a graduate program and spent 6 months studying for the MCAT (got a score very close to the average U.S. M.D. matriculation). After years of research and volunteering, I decided that this past cycle was the appropriate time for me to apply. I was privileged to get a handful of interviews which translated into an Acceptance and a few waitlists. I'm an ORM (over-represented in medicine) with sub-optimal stats, however, I never stopped believing in my dream. I hope my story can be a catalyst for all the other applicants out there, and it can serve as living proof that YOU CAN GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL AS LONG AS YOU DON"T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM. Lastly, the process is a marathon, and you will often meet people who tell you that you Cannot do it. Please don't let these people define your dreams and ambitions. Take your time, and do it the right way. In my humble opinion - I often find people going into medicine for the wrong reasons (money, status, prestige) and they often attempt to take shortcuts. Medicine, in its purest sense, is a profession meant to serve humanity from a holistic perspective. So please do it the right way and with the right intentions. Importantly, apply when you feel like it is the right time rather than rushing it because once again it is a marathon.

Furthermore, I want to take this moment to thank the SDN community. I would not have gotten this far without you all! Each and every one of your replies, likes, and comments helped guide me to this point. I also want to personally thank @Faha @Dr panda @Goro for providing me with valuable information regarding reinventing my application a few years ago.

I will always be committed to contributing to this community and please never hesitate to reach out for any help!

Congratulations!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user