M.I.S. Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering how a major in MIS would affect my chances of acceptance to medical school. How would it compare to a major in Biology or pyschology? I was told that a "unique" major can increase your chances of acceptance because it stands out from the pack. Also, MIS would be the ideal "back-up plan" to medical school for me. What do y'all think?! Oh..My stats are 3.6 OGPA, 3.5 SGPA from a state school(Illinois), ORG CHEM AND PHYSICS -NOT YET, and NO MCATs Yet. I don't think I should have too much trouble with those subjects because they truely interest me. Tell me what you think. MIS or not?

Peace
THE NUT

Members don't see this ad.

Nut:

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but O-chem. and physics are tough, no mattter if they interst you or not. I do think your MIS major will make you stand out from the crowd of biology majors, but I would get through organic, physics, and the MCAT before I made too many plans for the future.

"Building a Foundation." --Coach Alford

Guess what, you can be ANY major you want and get into med school. Take a course of study because you are interested in it, not because it is "pre-med" or will "look good" on the app. The average number of entering freshmen at most schools who claim to be "pre-med" is something above 30%. AND I read somewhere that nation-wide the number of med school matriculants who were "pre-med" majors has gone below 50% (the balance being liberal and fine arts majors, engineers etc). Study what you like, but do well on the pre-req's and MCAT.

Are you willing to do what it takes to get in? The classes you haven't taken yet (e.g. orgo, biochem) and the big ol' test (MCAT) will make the decision for you. The ball is in your court.

Case in point. I have two MUSIC degrees and was a high school band and orchestra director for 5 years. I applied this past June and am fortunate enough to already be accepted to my first-choice school. The faculty member who interviewed me told me he thought that my music degrees were an asset and not a liability. Study what you like and concentrate on the whole application, and you will get in.

Best wishes to you in your quest...

[This message has been edited by Peregrin (edited 10-19-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Everything you both have told me is not news to me. Let me clear something really fast, right now. In high school, Physics was no problem for me. For others, it may be the most difficult class. Fortunately for me, my high school teacher worked for McDonnel Douglas as an aerospace engineer before deciding that teaching was his calling. He was excellent and made physics fun and EASY!I waxed his Physics class and did well in the Organic sections of my Chemistry classes in High School. No Doubt...I put in long hours of hard work to achieve that success, but I truely believe that I won't have a problem with those up-coming classes. Indeed, the MCAT is another story, but my concern at this point is with the major itself. I was trying to get feedback as to whether or not that major would be an asset or a liability. I think I would do well in MIS because I'm talented with computers. I also feel that it would be a wise choice as a backup. I know I should study what I like and that's the hard part. I LIKE both majors. Now...the question is...which is most favorable to medical schools? I found a small study done by Knox College (IL), which stated,"Nationwide" acceptance rates of Pysch majors to be 41%. For Economics majors, the number is 50%. Now...those figures illustrate the percentage accepted within that particular major. Biology majors had a slender 38%. I guess I kinda answered my own question. Obviously, the business majors fared better compared to other business majors. Now...The number of business major applicants is nowhere near that of Biology...that may account for the discrepancy. Still, I'm curious how MIS majors fared against other MIS majors (if there were any!). Hypothetically, if I was the only MIS applicant in the country, how would I be viewed by adcoms? Original? Unique? or a waste of their time?
Please help

NUT

NUT

Peregrin is absolutely on target. Applicants from all kinds of majors get accepted to med schools. If you major in something you enjoy, are a happy camper, you will do better in everything. NEVER pick a major that you think will impress admissions committees; wasted effort. You impress them in the first place by strong academics and strong MCATs. I knew a Home Economics major who had no trouble getting admitted.

I agree, major in whatever the hell you want to. Stop basing every descision in your life around med school. Try and base your descisions on yourself, and what YOU want. Not what an adcomm wants. Having said that, we have philosophy majors, mechanical engineers, army paratroupers, etc etc in or class. Just get good grades, and you'll be here in med school, studying 6 hours a day in no time...

Yeah I agree with everyone else here. I'm a program for people intending to go to grad school in physics because I LOVE IT! I LOVE all the rigorous math that we do and I LOVE investigating about the physical world! Naturally, my grades go up because I enjoy it! I've maintained a 3.83 science GPA throughout b/c of all the physics and math courses that I take. I don't think I'd do as well in something that I don't find myself that interested in (e.g., biology, biochem, english, etc.)