M1 interested in orthopedics -- feel like I'm already behind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioPsychotic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new M1 who is interested in orthopedics and cardiology.

With regard to my interest in orthopedics, it feels as though I am already behind in terms of the match process. I've spoken to individuals who have already gotten interviews for summer programs, have already started getting research experience, and have already started shadowing in the OR.

I have done none of the above, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Our school does not have a home program, and I have been unable to secure research/shadowing experiences thus far by emailing outside individuals. Though I'm in the process, I am not sure how much luck I will get by applying to orthopedics summer research programs.

Am I already behind in terms of matching into this uber-competitive specialty? I feel as though I could really enjoy a career in orthopedics, but I also want to be smart and not keep chasing something that won't pan out. I can focus my efforts on other areas, like IM-->Cardiology or CT surgery.

If I can continue to pursue orthopedics, is there any advice you all would recommend for someone without a home program?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could provide.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t stop pursuing a specialty this early, but you do need to start doing things to build your CV

Reactions: 1 users
I never realized specific summer research programs were a thing. Is there a way to go about searching/applying for these things or is simply google " [insert specialty] summer research program".

If it's any consolation OP, I'm also interested in a competitive specialty and have done none of those things you listed as an M1. I have been reaching out to some people for research and whatnot and am told it's good that I'm starting this early so I really don't think you're late at all. We literally have finished one semester of med school it can't get much earlier than this and it's also super important to make sure we get into a flow with academics before branching out to other time consuming endeavors.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I started on research 1st semester MS1 and honestly felt like I made a mistake doing so. By starting on research that early, I felt like I took on more work when I hadn't yet gotten medical school studying nailed down, and it was a very stressful time. Yes, you should probably get on the research train now, but I also wouldn't sweat not yet having a 1st author Nature pub yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn’t stop pursuing a specialty this early, but you do need to start doing things to build your CV

Good to know! Thank you for your response. I definitely wanted to make sure I had academics in order before diving into residency prep, but I will definitely spend this semester working on my CV.

I never realized specific summer research programs were a thing. Is there a way to go about searching/applying for these things or is simply google " [insert specialty] summer research program".

If it's any consolation OP, I'm also interested in a competitive specialty and have done none of those things you listed as an M1. I have been reaching out to some people for research and whatnot and am told it's good that I'm starting this early so I really don't think you're late at all. We literally have finished one semester of med school it can't get much earlier than this and it's also super important to make sure we get into a flow with academics before branching out to other time consuming endeavors.

The way I've been finding specialty-specific summer research programs is through specialty interest groups, emails sent out by our administration, or (like you mentioned) googling "[specialty] summer research program". Feel free to ask classmates and people in the classes above you. They can provide more helpful opportunities!

Thank you so much for those kind words. It often feels like we exist in a hyper-competitive environment, with so many people I talk to aiming for competitive specialties and what they are doing in pursuit of those specialties. So it helps to hear that I'm not the only M1 who has been focused more on maintaining academics in the first year.

I started on research 1st semester MS1 and honestly felt like I made a mistake doing so. By starting on research that early, I felt like I took on more work when I hadn't yet gotten medical school studying nailed down, and it was a very stressful time. Yes, you should probably get on the research train now, but I also wouldn't sweat not yet having a 1st author Nature pub yet.

Thank you so much for your perspective! I will go ahead and get started, but it helps tremendously to know that I am not super behind.

Hello,

I'm a new M1 who is interested in orthopedics and cardiology.

With regard to my interest in orthopedics, it feels as though I am already behind in terms of the match process. I've spoken to individuals who have already gotten interviews for summer programs, have already started getting research experience, and have already started shadowing in the OR.

I have done none of the above, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Our school does not have a home program, and I have been unable to secure research/shadowing experiences thus far by emailing outside individuals. Though I'm in the process, I am not sure how much luck I will get by applying to orthopedics summer research programs.

Am I already behind in terms of matching into this uber-competitive specialty? I feel as though I could really enjoy a career in orthopedics, but I also want to be smart and not keep chasing something that won't pan out. I can focus my efforts on other areas, like IM-->Cardiology or CT surgery.

If I can continue to pursue orthopedics, is there any advice you all would recommend for someone without a home program?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could provide.
This is why more people are taking a research year.

First off, ortho and cards are two very different fields, so I would decide whether or not you are really interested in a surgical subspecialty. I can't really speak about what to do for cards, (I'm applying ortho) but that is something you wont have to deal with until after 3 years of an IM residency.
For Ortho,
-Join your schools orthopaedic interest group if they have one and run for an office at some point. Find some type of leadership activity at your school.
-Ask your dean for help in finding a mentor in an ortho department ASAP, even if your school has no home program, you can find a school close by that does, and contact preferably someone involved in research, and ask if you can get involved in any projects. If you know how to do statistical analysis you will have no end of projects. You can also teach yourself to do this.
-Meet with the chair of ortho or the PD at this program to express your interest, often they can connect you with a mentor.
-You can use twitter as a resource, there are many posts from orthopaedic programs and surgeons who are happy to mentor students.
-You need good grades and would really help if you honor your clinical rotations and can get AOA.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Ortho is a hard specialty to match into and definitely hard without a home program. The best thing you can do is talk to people from your school who have successfully matched into ortho and get their advice on where they found mentors. That will be essential going forward because you don't have an easy way through your own program to get mentorship that's so important for ortho.