M2 Resource Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBeethoven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
abcdef

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In terms of frugality, you don't need Uworld after Step 1. Firecracker offers a free trial I believe, and so does Boards and Beyond if you ask. Try them both and see how you like them. Lastly, if you're into flashcards, Zanki's Anki deck is free.

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE-Rx. Buy the Qmax if you only want questions. Teaches you first aid via board style questions (although not as similar as Uworld) from the advice I have heard, its better to save Uworld close to dedicated.

Reactions: 1 user
It hard to truly complete a 1st run during dedicated, and the few medical students that I knew that tried failed. I would suggest trying to start Uworld at least 3 month before dedicated.

You can do either-or. Most people say don't use Uworld too far out because it'll "waste" the questions. Uworld is a learning tool, and I'm not sure how you can waste learning things early.

However at the same time, some people like to cram things, so material is fresh when they take the test. You'll have to decide what works for you.

I liked Kaplan for questions along with classes and then lightly started Uworld in Jan and ramped up in dedicated. I don't like using Uworld early just because the questions are harder and I think it's better for highlighting the holes in things you know fairly well. In short I think you get more out of the questions when you know more. Also I just don't think they are that helpful for class exams and the NBMEs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Based on talking with the academic skills coordinator at my school, plus upperclassmen, I have Rx for a year, FA, Pathoma, and SketchyMed for a year (all 3 courses). I looked into Boards & Beyond but decided against it (resource overload). Will get UWorld for dedicated. Tried Firecracker and hated the format - Bros is the same but free.

If you email the B&B customer service and straight up ask, they'll give you a discount code (just mention which subscription you're looking into purchasing and say you'll pass it around to a few classmates).

I use pathoma and boards and beyond daily (at least an hour each), and will go as far as saying boards and beyond is better, and if I had to choose one it would be B&B. He teaches a little more of the mechanisms IMO which is great if you feel like you understand symptoms and all that but not quite the molecular details of diseases. B&B also does biochem and more detailed immuno and such. But I think both are a must.

I also recommend boards and beyond, even for pathology. Doing both B&B and Pathoma for pathology def helped me. Also, B&B is really good at explaining the pathophysiology for almost everything in FA. I would recommend annotating in FA from B&B (the vids even tell you which FA pages they coincide with) early on. Then closer to dedicated, do UW and annotate into FA as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile