M2 wanting to match gen surg but with P/F Step 1, what am I supposed to be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent00

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a rising M2 and starting to think more about what I want to match into (going back and forth with EM and gen surg). I feel like all the advice I see to match into surgery is getting a high Step 1 score but with that being P/F for my class, what else should I be doing? My preclinical grades are also all P/F.

I am doing some EM research this summer, worked part-time as an EMT through M1, volunteered with a free mental health clinic, and am a treasurer for a social medical club. I think these are all great things but none of them are related to surgery. I am looking into finding a mentor in surgery (easier said then done), but is there anything else I am missing? Will it mostly come down to Step 2 scores and knowing the right people now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Know Step 1 material cold which will allow you to crunch Step 2. And get some research. That’s what you should be doing right now IMO.

Reactions: 2 users