M2 year compared to M1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M2 compared to M1 year has been...

• much harder

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • slightly harder

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • about the same

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • slightly easier

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • much easier

Votes: 12 12.1%

• Total voters

nuclearrabbit77

commercial sex worker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you think they compare?

Members don't see this ad.

More time consuming and more studying.

First year = learn research science

Second year = learn medicine

Considering that I do well in things I really enjoy and that I applied to med school because I enjoy medicine, I can accurately say that my second year is easier than the first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't this depend on where you go to school? Hopkins goes pretty easy on you the first year, but you have to pay for that second year (esp. b/c second year is cut short to go to the wards in April).

Reactions: 1 users
oddly enough its been slightly easier for me. prolly cause first year i was still adjusting to being an 'average' student from being at relatively the top of my class in undergrad haha

edit: oh shiiiit necro. didnt notice the date lol. was just absentmindedly replying...

Reactions: 9 users
First year sucked because it was a lot of busy work, lots of labs and lots of of that strong EBM bone voodoo that you learn at a DO school.

Second year was harder in the sense that there was a lot more material but easier in that there were less labs and everything was a bit more streamlined in terms of schedule. Each system was split between patho/pharm and clinical Med.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Did they even have internet in 2003?

Reactions: 20 users
The similar threads definitely make it easy to necro if you don't check the dates, is that how you found this one?

Reactions: 1 user
1st year = learn how to study basic science at a medical school pace
2nd year = learn how to study MORE material than first year, while at the same time studying frantically for Step 1

in case you are curious...
3rd year = realize everything you learned are all zebras and you haven't been learning REAL medicine the past 2 years
4th year = Run out of money doing away rotations and traveling for interviews. Match. After matching, spend a majority of your time figuring out how to disappear after lunch.

Reactions: 4 users
M1 was difficult in terms of the adjustment, but I didn't study very much. Maybe 4-6 hours a day during anatomy, and less during the other classes. M2 is harder in terms of the amount of material you are expected to know, and trying to prep for step 1 on top of everything. Now averaging 8-10 hours a day. But I'm personally so much happier this year. M1 was SO boring to me. M2 is hard, but very interesting

Except for the **** show that was Step 1, I liked M2 a lot more than M1. Difficulty felt about the same, but I was way more used to the pace and more efficient, plus lectures became non-mandatory, and the material was a lot more relevant. I was closer to some of my classmates and had a better support system by then too.

So all in all, I'd say it got better. Each year had its own unique struggles, but M1 was definitely the most miserable year of med school for me.

Last edited:
M1 more busy work sucks
M2 everything sucks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app