M3 Newly Interested in IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreadnought

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to ask about getting interested in IR late in the game as an M3 at a T20 school. I just finished clerkship year and was not exactly sure about what clerkship grades are most important besides surgery for IR. I received HP in ObGyn and IM and honored the rest of the clerkships, but I had heard that IM is a very important clerkship for radiology related fields.
For 4th year, I was thinking to do a SubI in surgery since it seems that would be related to IR, but is it advisable to do a SubI in IM instead to offset the HP? Or some kind of IM elective? Or can I just ignore the grade and go with surgery and focus more on IR electives and aways? I got some discouraging feedback regarding not having an H in IM from an advisor and have been a bit worried. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

You're at a T20 school, and getting mostly Honors. Your grades will not hold you back at getting interviews at any program.

Surgery is definitely the most important core clerkship for IR.

If you're trying to match at a top IR program, your recommendation letters and your answer to "how will you make our IR department stronger?" will matter a lot more than getting an Honors in a IM sub-I.

Reactions: 1 user
HP vs H on IM in an otherwise strong application is inconsequential. As other said, surgery is a more important sub-I for IR. Don't trip

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself a favor and seriously consider doing ESIR over IR. I know a lot of people who switched from IR to DR (which is a huge PITA) but relatively few who went DR to IR.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice! Especially helpful after hearing discouraging things before this
I will definitely look into ESIR and focus on surgery sub I and IR elective/aways!