M3 -- UWorld or AMBOSS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnycomelately

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only getting one, so what's the consensus on the forum as to which is better, both for Step 2 and shelf exams?

Is the Step 2 Zanki useful if you're not doing UWorld?

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The three resources you need for M3/Step 2 are, in no particular order:

UWorld

UWorld

UWorld

Also consider practice NBMEs if you’re into that.

ETA: if your school has family Med shelf, a one month subscription to ExamGuru is helpful for that because it covers some family Med specific stuff that’s not as thoroughly covered or easily sorted in UWorld.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The three resources you need for M3/Step 2 are, in no particular order:

UWorld

UWorld

UWorld

Also consider practice NBMEs if you’re into that.

3CC087E6-2798-446E-A23F-F49BCFAE894E.gif

I'm only getting one, so what's the consensus on the forum as to which is better, both for Step 2 and shelf exams?

Is the Step 2 Zanki useful if you're not doing UWorld?
Uworld is king for M3 (Except for Family Med where I think most people in my class used ExamGuru). Zanki can be useful for certain shelves where your study time can be limited, like surgery or OB. The idea is the more Uworld you do, the better off you'll be. They added 500+ questions since the start of my M3 (and I just took CK on Friday), and a lot of it is repetition.

Uworld is king for M3 (Except for Family Med where I think most people in my class used ExamGuru). Zanki can be useful for certain shelves where your study time can be limited, like surgery or OB. The idea is the more Uworld you do, the better off you'll be. They added 500+ questions since the start of my M3 (and I just took CK on Friday), and a lot of it is repetition.

You make a good point — I did use examguru for Family Med and it was great for the shelf. Just got the one month subscription lined up with my shelf date.

I feel like AMBOSS hit on some shelf stuff that wasn’t in uworld.
But uworld is enough for step 2. And it’s enough to do well on the shelves. If you want the 90% and above scores on the shelf then I would recommend using both. The AMBOSS library without the questions is pretty cheap and is an organized and quick resource to look up info.

But to answer your question if you want one resource then it’s uworld.