M3 who just received Step 1 score. Bummed. Specific questions I have regarding matching into gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gassman7

Reaction score
M3 at a US MD school. Just got in the low 220's on Step 1. Needless to say, I'm extremely dissappointed. I go to a state school with a solid reputation (but not top 25 or anything). Was hoping to match at a mid-tier academic institution but understand if that might be a stretch now.

Would really appreciate any tips from people who have been in a similar position.

Specific questions/concerns I have:

Research: I'm trying to work on getting publications, but making inroads into the anesthesiology department at my school is proving somewhat difficult. How many pubs would you say I should try to attain at bare minimum? Also, how are non-anesthesiology related research projects viewed (I'm almost done with a case report and will be doing a poster presentation in other areas of medicine)?

Electives/aways/Step 2: Also trying to do an elective in anesthesia this year, but won't be able to until January. Any tips on books/readings that are that I can read in advance of my elective to help me stand out? Any advice regarding how I should approach setting up my aways during 4th year? How early should I take Step 2?

Back ups: Is my score low enough where it would be smart to apply to a different specialty as a back up?

Beyond residency: How does my low step score bode for getting fellowships after residency? Can't help but feel like I've screwed myself.

Would also appreciate any suggestions as to specific residency programs that might still be an option for me (I know it's early, but I would like to do some research on which programs have minimum screening scores, etc.). I would like to remain in the Northeast, but understand that the chances of that might be slim now. With that said, I will for sure apply broadly and include schools from different geographic regions so as to maximize my chances.

Lastly, any general words of encouragement would go a long way right now. Feeling pretty bummed, especially since I've wanted to do anesthesia since the beginning of med school, served as chair of my anesthesia interest group at my school, etc. Can't help but feel somewhat embarrassed after investing so much into this process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this isn't a direct answer to all your questions, but you will be fine. You'll get a bunch of interviews if you apply broadly.

Just focus on Step 2 and making sure you improve there. Research will help a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it feels horrible. I was in your exact spot, feeling like the end of the world. But its not. Work hard during M3. Make an impression to get solid LOR. Obviously improve on the score on Step2. Its not the end of the road. We fall, so that we can learn to pick ourselves up again. *Training at a top 10 program (according to Doximity anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your score is good enough for the lower tier programs without a need for a backup specialty. There are decent programs in the lower tier. Also, a good Step 2 and CCF is a strong possibility for you.

Assuming a below average Step 2 score you should focus HARD on the bottom 1/3 of programs.

You'll match, it's gas not ortho. Look at people on charting outcomes with your Step 1, most matched. Furthermore academic still isn't off the table if you do well on Step 2 and apply broadly

da640e5fdf358b18b984dea831384e2c--medical-humor-nurse-humor.jpg

You will match into Anesthesiology. You don’t need a back up plan. I would try to improve your Step 2 score to open more doors. Your overall application with being head of your interest group and some research will be fine and competitive for lower programs. I would still apply to a litany if middle tier and you’ll get some interviews at them for sure.

Your Step 2 score will be the important factor in where you ultimately match assuming you interview well.

This step score will have no bearing on fellowship applications.

Actually, this is most likely an overpaid advanced practice nurse.

This is accurate. I flash a thumbs up through the OR window then do most of my snoozing in the back office away from prying eyes.

Reactions: 3 users
thanks everyone for your responses. especially the ones that gave me reassurance (and the ones that made me laugh)

@jonnythan @stardust121 @BLADEMDA @Mad Jack @UrbanAchievers

Sorry in advance if this is somewhat of a dumb question, but would any of you mind sharing with me what exactly are the consequences of landing in a low tier/ mid tier residency as compared to more competitive ones? If the location is ultimately in a region of the country where I would like to settle, does a low tier/mid tier residency significantly limit one's ability to find work (PP or academic) in a given area? And what are the implications for applying for fellowships?

Also, assuming my step 2 score ends up being significantly higher than my step 1, could any of you could perhaps name some specific programs in the Northeast/ New England region that I would be competitive for/ that I could do away rotations at?

And maybe this question begets a less concrete kind of answer, but should I even do aways or is it more of a liability? I'm generally a pretty affable guy and get along well with others, so I don't think I could **** the bed too much in that respect.

Thanks in advance to all you wonderful humans

A Step 2 score of 250+ would help your chances at matching into a midtier program. Ultimately, that's your goal (realistic goal) since mid tier still leaves all your options on the table in terms of career paths: Fellowship, PP or Academic

Here is a quick list for you ( I left off Brooklyn so include those)

Univ of CT
Univ of MA
Tufts
Maryland
Maine
Albany
Montefiore
NY Westchester
StonyBrook
Hofstra
Temple
Geisenger