M3 with growing interest in Rads

Porkloins

Where am I
Oct 11, 2014
  1. Medical Student
    Hi all,

Was hoping to hear some perspective/advice on my situation. I'm a new M3 who has recently become more interested in DR as my future specialty. I always knew I didn't want to be the doctor who is "on call" and so I'd ruled out many of the more competitive/intense specialties right from the get go. But I also heard that radiology is a good fit for people who 1) loved the first 2 years of med school and 2) enjoy interacting with colleagues more than with patients. Both of these are true in my case.

So now what I'm wondering is, how can I make sure that rads would actually be a good fit for me at this point, and if it is, how do I make sure I'm competitive when it's time to apply? Are radiology electives useful as an M3? I have a 260+ Step 1 and one paper from my gap year, otherwise I have no notable ECs or research done so far. Would having radiology-specific research be very important in my application?

Appreciate any advice!

Reactions: 1 user

Cognovi

Knowledge worker
    5+ Year Member
    Feb 10, 2016
    bit.ly
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      how can I make sure that rads would actually be a good fit for me at this point
      Rotate in radiology, ask current residents how they did it, and make a leap of faith.

how do I make sure I'm competitive when it's time to apply
      Achieve excellent clinical clerkship grades/evaluations.

Are radiology electives useful as an M3?
      Yes.

Would having radiology-specific research be very important in my application?
      It is mild-to-moderately important for competitive academic programs.

emdee_inside

Apr 2, 2020
      1. Medical Student
        1. You're definitely competitive with that Step 1 score. You should easily be able to snag 20+ interviews. Consider getting a short and sweet case report published to cross that 't'.
        2. Regarding "fit", yes, I agree with @Cognovi . You have to dig into the field to see if you feel positive about it. Rotate in it, talk to residents, talk to attendings, learn about the day-to-day, etc.
        All the best, @Porkloins !

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.