M3 with growing interest in Rads

Started by Porkloins
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Porkloins

Where am I
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Was hoping to hear some perspective/advice on my situation. I'm a new M3 who has recently become more interested in DR as my future specialty. I always knew I didn't want to be the doctor who is "on call" and so I'd ruled out many of the more competitive/intense specialties right from the get go. But I also heard that radiology is a good fit for people who 1) loved the first 2 years of med school and 2) enjoy interacting with colleagues more than with patients. Both of these are true in my case.

So now what I'm wondering is, how can I make sure that rads would actually be a good fit for me at this point, and if it is, how do I make sure I'm competitive when it's time to apply? Are radiology electives useful as an M3? I have a 260+ Step 1 and one paper from my gap year, otherwise I have no notable ECs or research done so far. Would having radiology-specific research be very important in my application?

Appreciate any advice!
 
how can I make sure that rads would actually be a good fit for me at this point
Rotate in radiology, ask current residents how they did it, and make a leap of faith.

how do I make sure I'm competitive when it's time to apply
Achieve excellent clinical clerkship grades/evaluations.

Are radiology electives useful as an M3?
Yes.

Would having radiology-specific research be very important in my application?
It is mild-to-moderately important for competitive academic programs.
 
1. You're definitely competitive with that Step 1 score. You should easily be able to snag 20+ interviews. Consider getting a short and sweet case report published to cross that 't'.
2. Regarding "fit", yes, I agree with @Cognovi . You have to dig into the field to see if you feel positive about it. Rotate in it, talk to residents, talk to attendings, learn about the day-to-day, etc.
All the best, @Porkloins !