M3 with growing interest in Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Porkloins

Where am I
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was hoping to hear some perspective/advice on my situation. I'm a new M3 who has recently become more interested in DR as my future specialty. I always knew I didn't want to be the doctor who is "on call" and so I'd ruled out many of the more competitive/intense specialties right from the get go. But I also heard that radiology is a good fit for people who 1) loved the first 2 years of med school and 2) enjoy interacting with colleagues more than with patients. Both of these are true in my case.

So now what I'm wondering is, how can I make sure that rads would actually be a good fit for me at this point, and if it is, how do I make sure I'm competitive when it's time to apply? Are radiology electives useful as an M3? I have a 260+ Step 1 and one paper from my gap year, otherwise I have no notable ECs or research done so far. Would having radiology-specific research be very important in my application?

Appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
how can I make sure that rads would actually be a good fit for me at this point
Rotate in radiology, ask current residents how they did it, and make a leap of faith.

how do I make sure I'm competitive when it's time to apply
Achieve excellent clinical clerkship grades/evaluations.

Are radiology electives useful as an M3?
Yes.

Would having radiology-specific research be very important in my application?
It is mild-to-moderately important for competitive academic programs.

1. You're definitely competitive with that Step 1 score. You should easily be able to snag 20+ interviews. Consider getting a short and sweet case report published to cross that 't'.
2. Regarding "fit", yes, I agree with @Cognovi . You have to dig into the field to see if you feel positive about it. Rotate in it, talk to residents, talk to attendings, learn about the day-to-day, etc.
All the best, @Porkloins !