M4 externship, rotation vs sub-i, does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qmcat

Heat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When ENT programs look at your application, do they care whether you did an ENT "rotation" vs. an ENT "sub-i"?

I'm planning to apply for ENT this upcoming cycle, and the program I'm interested in will not let me do a sub-i unless I have done a regular ENT "rotation" first. The problem is, my school doesn't have an ENT department, so we don't have any ENT rotations during M3 year. Also, I only have July and August to do external rotations before having to submit ERAS, and I need to take one of those months to do Step 2 (since I have a mediocre Step 1 and need to post high Step 2 scores before ERAS), so I won't have the opportunity to do both a regular rotation month followed by a sub-i month.

Do you guys think doing an ENT "rotation" at my program of interest and getting letters there will be just as good as an ENT "sub-i", or have any tips to get around it?

Members don't see this ad.

You are talking semantics. No one cares if it is a rotation vs sub-I. At the end of your MS 3 or early MS 4 level, you should be acting as intern, regardless.

At my medical school (this was a long time ago, now) - all that really mattered was that you had to do a sub-I. This could be in anything (med, surg, ENT, etc) - it was more of a check the box thing. For matching in ENT, we care that you have done an ENT rotation and that you have letters from the attendings regarding your performance and suitability to continue in our field. Your interactions with residents or attendings on the ENT team will be the same, whether it is a rotation or a Sub-I, and all that matters is that you go above and beyond what is expected.

I agree with the above poster. Doing a "rotation" at your program of interest is therefore your "sub-i", or your "audition" rotation, whatever have you. They all pretty much mean the same thing. Just show up and be ready to work, and have a good ENT knowledge base before rotations. Read this also: http://www.entnet.org/mktplace/primaryCare.cfm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

1st of all...I just moved into the 99% sure about ENT category from the 95% as after starting my ENT rotation. WOOT WOOT!

Now it's time to get scheduling and I wanted to see if anyone did any 4th year electives (or maybe wished they had done) that would be helpful. I was thinking about doing an anatomy/radiology elective (this will be my freebie), trauma and since our ENT "sub-i" doesn't count as a sub-i, I'll do a sub-I in the SICU....unless anyone has any better ideas.

4th year is your last chance to be a slacker for the rest of your medical career. Don't take any hard rotations unless you're required to do so. SICU is probably as good of a surgical sub-I as any.

Hey All,

1st of all...I just moved into the 99% sure about ENT category from the 95% as after starting my ENT rotation. WOOT WOOT!

Now it's time to get scheduling and I wanted to see if anyone did any 4th year electives (or maybe wished they had done) that would be helpful. I was thinking about doing an anatomy/radiology elective (this will be my freebie), trauma and since our ENT "sub-i" doesn't count as a sub-i, I'll do a sub-I in the SICU....unless anyone has any better ideas.

I did a pulmonology, ophthalmology and derm rotations during my 4th year (actually I'll be starting derm the following week). I thought the first two were pretty helpful.

4th year is your last chance to be a slacker for the rest of your medical career. Don't take any hard rotations unless you're required to do so. SICU is probably as good of a surgical sub-I as any.

Agreed. Enjoy 4th year. There is little that will prepare you for what is coming in your intern year. Enjoy your free time, travel some and be well rested for July 1.

Agreed. Enjoy 4th year. There is little that will prepare you for what is coming in your intern year. Enjoy your free time, travel some and be well rested for July 1.

4th year was awesome.
ENT subi
Required neurology subi
Anatomy
Radiology
Derm
Plastic surgery
Vacation and travel

Sent via Tapatalk.

Yes, definitely find time to travel. I'm spending 2.5 months in Honolulu, Hawaii for rotations and vacation. It's amazing!