Does it get better in ENT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtoRes

Reaction score
Junior Oto Resident here.

Maybe it's the low point of my residency and the 80-100 weeks, q3-4 call with fragmented sleep schedules and the following day with a head fog, getting a lot of the less favorable assignments in clinic and OR, and just generally being worked like a mule with admin work (things MAs should do IMO) and heavy clinical burden that's eroding my passion for this work, but I really could use some advice regarding one question: Does life get better in ENT after residency?

This is going to sound like a rant because it is. But I have a few examples from the past few weeks to highlight life as a resident:

Yesterday, in OR assigned to several routine type cases (that I am doing) and one advanced neck procedure with Attending, Chief, and me. Chief was only planning to come in for the one procedure as he had a mastoid in another room he was supervising a PGY4 through it. He told me to grab him when patient gets to OR so he can scrub out and join us. Walks in the room when patient is being bag masked. Attending says loudly in front of everyone: "You come in expecting to operate but you haven't even met the patient and are showing up to OR late, you can go ahead and leave the room if I'm going to be your fellow today".

Same OR, a few days before, we have 7 cases, most tubes/tonsils, one endoscopy with a flexible scope. For all the cases, per usual, I have prepped everything by printing ahead of time and then getting the consents from parents day of surgery, ensuring they have orders already placed and pended, H&Ps on file and uploaded, emailed a brief case summary to the attending days in advance, and ensured all patients have home instructions, home meds, and follow up appointments. That day, after already AM rounding on their postop patients and discharging them, I forgot to grab a flexible scope for the portion of the first case, and get told coldly "You cant just expect to operate and have everyone else grab things for you and do all the work for you". Later that day, I ask if a patient needs admit orders to floor or intermediate care, and attending says "I already placed that order beforehand, if you had an idea of whats going on you would know that". (when we place literally 99.9% of the orders for them).

Another one: On several occasions, I've gotten pages or calls from the intern in clinic for new consults, which we typically get 5 or so during the day, which I casually run by the attending on call right then and there saying "Hey , FYI we have a consult just so you know" and I often get "don't tell me about it until youve seen and worked it up [and only if they have good insurance]" kinda grumble, otherwise they get stressed in clinic it seems. The other day, I get a page around 3pm, for hearing loss, put it off towards end of a busy clinic, see patient around 530 pm, staff with Chief on call around 6 pm, then they call attending around 7pm to staff it. Next day, I get sternly spoken to about not telling them about the consult the prior afternoon, since they had to come in to see the consult within 24 hours (to bill for it), which forced them to come in during their personal admin time (at least 1 days per week of admin time).

Next: took a biopsy of a mass in clinic, which the MAs proceed to mistakenly lose from transport to pathology submission despite it being placed in the bag with an active tissue exam order. This was found only after waiting 5 days for results which never came through, then calling path for an update. I am forced to present at M&M this issue for "patient care issues/delay of diagnosis".

Next: MAs in clinic rarely put in what which exam room they put patients in, what the chief complaint is under Rooming tab. Or if they do, they put "New patient" or "Ear" or "Nose" for reason of the appointment when there is ZERO referring information or uploaded documents. I brought these minor issues up with Attendings, and get reprimanded that I need to be "self sufficient" and figure it out even tho we are scheduled for a NP 20 min double booked appointments, which the residents see the majority of the new patient visits.

The list goes on and on and on. I know most of it is petty and does not change the end product of my surgical training, which is why most of the time I say "Yes sir, I am sorry" and not fight about it. At the end of the day, I enjoy being an ENT resident. I have made forward progress with dealing with clinical issues, working up ENT problems in clinic and in the hospital, and getting more operations under my belt. I would never leave or quit. But I need some advice saying that this type of stuff goes away after you leave academic residency programs. I know I still need guidance, but I feel like an abused stepchild on most days. I think its the autonomy to make my own decisions that I am looking forward to. At the end of the day, I am so tired of being treated like a child after working so hard to get here.

Appreciate any advice from those who have been here before.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like it's part you and part the annoyance of being a resident

The attendings whining about consults is just them being lazy douches. The MA losing the path is just part of life. The inefficiency of a crappy system is part of life. The difference when you're an attending is that those things affect your bottom line and your patient care and you can throw a fit and try to change it. But complaining about presenting a M+M when there was a true issue - delay in cancer diagnosis is a true issue that deserves to be discussed - is short sighted in my opinion. Who else do you think should have presented it? Or do you not think it deserves to be talked about?

If you haven't introduced yourself to the patient and have no idea what is happening you don't deserve to operate in my opinion. If you're bouncing room to room to do surgeries and have no idea what the patient's history is I wouldn't let you operate either. The attending doesnt know the chief put you in that position.

Not assessing a patient with new flank pain as a PGY2 is stupid. Like, absurdly stupid.

Anyway, PGY2 year sucks and yes it gets better each year. And life as an attending is awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with Wordead. Does it get better? Yeah. You eventually won’t have attendings. Having to mold the way you function to a format that fits someone else’s personality and schedule (like you attending) can be frustrating, there’s no doubt about it. And it may not even be fair. But they’re the attending and you’re the resident. It’s not designed to be fair. You get the benefit of the education, and they get the benefit of expecting you to bend over a little. Residency is, by far, not the only thing set up like that and most residencies (if not all) work that way. Now, maybe some attendings are easier to work with and some harder, but thems the ropes.

You’re going to have to go in at 2am to see crap as a resident that you would never go in to see as an attending. That’s also just a part of residency. The rationale is that you will be surprised as an attending how much you think you knew as a resident that you didn’t know until you were an attending. Meaning that sometimes you make over-the-phone decisions that are based upon faulty assumptions. And the way you learn is by seeing patients. Now, in this case you ended up being right. And you’re probably a smart guy so that’s probably the way things usually work out. But you’re there to learn. That means going in to do an exam or drain a PTA. Hell, I haven’t gone in to drain a PRA in like 8 years but when I was a resident I went in for every one of them.

The MA thing sucks. But I agree with wordead, it needed to be discussed and for sure the MA ain’t gonna do it. And as it turns out, if that happens when you’re an attending, and things go really badly, the attorney isn’t going to go after the MA either. This is one of the absurd things in medicine, and one of the things that can be very frustrating - you’re always ultimately (if not solely) responsible even if the problem occurred during a step in the process over which you have no control.

Now, all that being said, was I pissed about the same kind of stuff when I was an R2? Hell yes. It’s frustrating AF. It gets better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of frustrating parts of residency but also a lot of awesome parts about it too. It's tough as a junior resident because you feel stretched in so many directions and consults and cases just take longer because you don't have a lot of experience or knowledge to get through them efficiently. The sleep deprivation thing can also factor in and make things harder, especially when the majority of your call is home call. One time, I fell asleep at a stop sign driving back from a long overnight case at a satellite hospital we covered in residency. It can be really scary.

What helped me get through the tough times was thinking about all the cool things about this specialty -- how things you do in the span of minutes to several hours in the OR can really change someone's quality of life. I mean think about cochlear implants, you are literally restoring someone's ability to hear and function socially. A tympanostomy tube or tonsillectomy, while they may seem simple, can drastically turn around a kid's issue with recurrent ME effusions or debilitating OSA. It's really all about perspective. I had a mentor in residency who had visiting scholars come in from all of the world to watch him operate. They would pay thousands of dollars in flights, housing, and missed income to learn from my mentor... and yet I was allowed to operate on his patients, and get paid to do it too! It's not much, I know, but there are some residencies in dentistry where you have to pay the program to be a resident (Can be up to 100K by the time you finish).

In any case, hang in there. Things will get better, but as Wordead and HighPriest have mentioned... it is critical to evaluate every consult you see because you will realize there is a lot more that you don't know or have falsely assumed. A patient on the floor with new flank pain should've been seen overnight. Yes, you mention that things turned out okay, but you have little to no real expertise about that area to assume that it's not urgent or a big deal. I have heard of residents getting fired over not seeing patients overnight. Seeing as much as you can will only help to build your thought process and algorithm, which you only have 5 short years to build. Learning continues after residency, but the rate and intensity is different.

Reactions: 1 user
I always recall a case I saw when I was on a HN service as an R3. We did a hemiglossectomy and RFFF on a 60-something year old woman. She was pretty healthy overall. She got out of the ICU after her flap was out of the danger zone and she was on the floor. Expected to discharge the following day. Got called around 11pm
For flank pain. I assumed it was from positioning, as she had been on her back for days. I ordered renal labs and got a KUB and assumed nothing was going to come of it.
Long story short she ended up having a massive retroperitoneal hemorrhage. She needed 3 units of blood. The rate is as high as .5-1% in patient on prophylactic heparin, which is just amazingly high. Fortunately the KUB looked funny. It certainly didn’t say hematoma, but it was strange enough that we ordered a CT and got the diagnosis.
Her pain at the time was like 3/10 and she was hemodynamically stable. But nothing we gave her would cut the pain back. Would have been very, very easy to blow her off.

Last edited:
Life gets better even IN residency, and especially afterward.

A couple things I used to think about when dealing with things as a 2:

1) how could this decision possibly get twisted around to hose me later?
2) how will I feel about retelling these events at M&M if this goes badly?

Those thoughts were usually enough to make me do the CYA of seeing something that might otherwise be able to wait. There’s definitely an art to the residency game and sounds like you’re learning it. Starting a workup from home quickly evolves into “resident refused to come in and see the patient,” and for all you know the nurse or other staff may have relayed the story to your attending just that way.

As for the examples you list, none sound bad at all. Sounds like your chief needed to communicate his coverage plans to the attending in advance. Yes having the equipment for a case falls on the surgeon and always will. M&M is absolutely the place to discuss a lost specimen and in truth, it directly fulfills a graduation requirement that you demonstrate proficiency in systems based practice, QI, and safety.

I’ll give you the one about your attending whining about the consult. I always text the on call resident before I leave to ask if there’s anything outstanding and I generally don’t mind a heads up before someone sees a consult especially if it’s near the end of the day. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect everything to be worked up and done before anything is presented, but then you accept that the occasional end of day consult won’t get seen until the next day. Either way, it’s on attendings to clearly set their expectations while you’re caring for their patients and it’s on you to meet them.

If you do run into problems with faculty that really need to be addressed, bring it up to your chiefs privately and let them take it to your PD if there’s truly an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
It gets better. Life as an attending is great. I set my own hours. I'm my own boss. And I make a hell of a lot more than I did as a resident.

That being said. Residency sucks. It gets better as you progress from R2 to Chief. Remember, **** always runs downhill.

As someone mentioned, we're all fairly smart folks. A lot of times, your assumption CAN be right BUT it doesn't mean it's always right. You get a call, always err on just going in. That's what kept me up on call nights all the time. Luckily, I knew I wasn't that smart anyways so better to see in person than to just assume.

An academic setting is way different than being off in the real world. Don't project your experience now as what it will be in 10 years.

Good luck!

A lot of good advice here, I don't have a lot to add.

PGY2 year is the toughest for most residents, and every year of residency has its own unique pain. But things do marginally improve 3rd year, and keep improving after that. The switch to taking backup call behind a junior resident is a huge improvement in quality of life. And after graduating residency, ENT is a great specialty for sure.

Just want to say thanks to all those who gave some advice. Just need to keep perspective and keep one foot in front of the other!
More and more, looking forward to the finish line (thinking private practice/hospital employed non-academic) ... where I'm sure next challenge awaits!

Just want to say thanks to all those who gave some advice. Just need to keep perspective and keep one foot in front of the other!
More and more, looking forward to the finish line (thinking private practice/hospital employed non-academic) ... where I'm sure next challenge awaits!

Good perspective. The "real world" of ENT is far removed from academic otolaryngology. Hang in there, graduate, and you can literally make your own future. There's few specialties that can say that. You're lucky to be an ENT resident.

Stumbled on this thread today and a lot of good advice above. I'll add something because I was looking for a distraction (studying for oral boards). I remember having many similar feelings during R2 year and being scolded for both clinically relevant and clinically irrelevant things, and things that I shared fault in and those that I did not. Either way, I acknowledged the problem as you wisely mentioned above and did my best to demonstrate that I cared about the feedback and would work to remedy the problem. Things that helped me keep my emotional resilience up during the crappiest times:

1. Find meaning in something. Even as an R2, you probably did something to make somebody's life better. While you don't have time to stop and smell the roses while on call, you can feel the positive feelings of helping someone. Because on the flip side, we all know the stomach ache of a feeling of a near miss, or almost forgot or actually did forget something important.

2. Expect to be treated poorly. Don't internalize the negative feedback as part of who you are, but you will find that some of the most memorable experiences and possibly most valuable lessons come from when you had the strongest emotions, often anger and frustration at someone scolding you for something that wasn't your fault. Even more memorable are the lessons that come from the mistakes that are your fault. However, if you work to change your locus of justice to revolve around your patients, your team and not yourself then when you are treated or scolded unfairly you will be more resilient. You expect fast food to taste like fast food and not your favorite restaurant. R2 is the fast food of training. Expect it to suck. Analyze the stories from a 3rd person point of view and see it as if you are collecting your war stories. They may be fun to tell later.

3. As a junior resident, you need to find your allies. Every program is different, but one thing that I'm sure is similar between them is that there are people who are in your corner, and there are people who may sell you out either from unintentional thoughtlessness (more likely), or (hopefully rarely) intentional malice. You need to find out which nurses, which OR schedulers, which page operators, which co-residents, which chiefs, which attendings, which MAs, etc. are on your side and can be trusted. If they're on your side, then build those relationships and support those people. Do your best to make those people look good to people who are overseeing them. If they're not on your side or just unreliable, then of course verify that they follow through or that they haven't unintentionally set you up for misery.