M4 Switching to PM&R After Unrelated Research Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ortho to PM&R

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a strange situation I’ve found myself in...I’m a rising M4 currently wrapping up my research year in ortho. I was pretty set on ortho hence the research year. But I recently learned about PM&R and was able to shadow in the field. I’ve now realized that PM&R is a much better fit for me. It ties in MSK, neuro, and medicine while still being procedural. Although I’d be giving up the OR, I think PM&R offers a better balance. I’ve realized that, although it’s pretty cool, I wouldn’t miss the OR all that much as long as I could still improve quality of life for patients somehow.

Aside from this glaring red flag (research year in another field), I’d be highly competitive for PM&R numbers-wise. I currently have ortho aways lined up for July-October, so I’d have to scramble to get PM&R aways/LORs (no home program, unfortunately). My questions are:

-Is this even a feasible switch at this point given the circumstances?

-Would programs automatically assume I'm only applying to PM&R as a "back-up"?

-Is my research year in ortho too much of a red flag to overcome?

-How likely am I to secure PM&R aways this late in the game?

-How many PM&R aways should I shoot for?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a research year in an unrelated field and decided on PM&R at the beginning of 4th year. So I was in a very similar situation to you.

Yes

No, particularly if your personal statement does a good job of logically laying out why you're a good fit for PM&R.

No. I did one of the 1-year research fellowships for medical students (think in the category of prestige of Doris Duke, NIH & HHMI) in an unrelated field to PM&R between MS3 and MS4. And I was okay.

Hard to say, each institution has a different timeline / deadline. You may find that some schools have not yet started accepting away applications.

I would do atleast 1 PM&R rotation (ideally 2), so that you can get letters and prove to yourself that PM&R is a better fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should not pose a problem. And there are plenty of us who go to the OR.

Thanks for the reassurance! I know it's common to change your mind about specialty choice throughout medical school, but I was concerned that committing a year to orthopedic surgery research would be frowned upon.

I did a research year in an unrelated field and decided on PM&R at the beginning of 4th year. So I was in a very similar situation to you.

Yes

No, particularly if your personal statement does a good job of logically laying out why you're a good fit for PM&R.

No. I did one of the 1-year research fellowships for medical students (think in the category of prestige of Doris Duke, NIH & HHMI) in an unrelated field to PM&R between MS3 and MS4. And I was okay.

Hard to say, each institution has a different timeline / deadline. You may find that some schools have not yet started accepting away applications.

I would do atleast 1 PM&R rotation (ideally 2), so that you can get letters and prove to yourself that PM&R is a better fit for you.

Thanks a lot...this gives me hope! I appreciate your input. I can definitely do at least 2 PM&R rotations at the beginning of 4th year, assuming I can secure aways this late in the year. How many institutions would you suggest I apply to for each month-long block I want to do an away? In ortho, it's frowned upon to over-apply for aways and then have to turn some of them down...is it the same for PM&R?

Ortho research is very relatable to PMR so it's actually a positive in your case. Just be able to spin it in your favor at interviews. You should be able to get into one of the top pmr programs if you are in fact remotely competitive for ortho.

I agree with the others. I think it's a non-issue if you can articulate why PM&R is the better fit. Just make sure you make it very clear PM&R is your first choice, and not your backup. Most attendings practicing now grew up at a time when PM&R was the backup for any ortho applicant (and many physiatrists themselves wanted to be in ortho!), so they may look at your application and guess that's the case with you if your statement and rotations don't make it clear.

As others have mentioned (and you've observed), PM&R is very related to ortho, so it's not hard to make the connection. If you were competitive for ortho, odds are you'll be competitive for top PM&R programs. Your research experience will help you--any research is considered a big bonus in PM&R, and if you were doing ortho research that's even better since it's likely more applicable.

I applied for 3-4 PM&R away rotations, and accepted two. I haven't heard of any standard over how many it's ok to apply to. I can't remember when away rotation applications open up--if it's late to apply now, it's better to apply to extras to be safe, but if it's still early you probably don't need to apply to too many. I'd probably still apply to at least 3 or 4 if you goal is to do two rotations, but don't be surprised if you get accepted to all of them if your stats are competitive for ortho. I don't think any programs will take it personally if you decline them politely.