MA/LMHC private practice income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1cfox21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've become interested in the field of psychology recently. I am a pre-med, but have been looking in to alternatives. As we all know, any professional schools are not a given to get into. I've also considered going into psychiatry if I do go MD/DO. I have been thinking I might not want to go through an extreme amount of schooling when it's all said and done. In the state of FL, a Master's in Clinical Psychology and a 2yr internship can allow one to get an LMHC (licensed mental health counselor). I was wondering what kind of income one can generate as an LMHC in private practice? Especially in FL? And how does that compare to PhD's/PsychD's?

ALthough, it sounds like a lot of state school PhD programs are funded and provide stipends. This would mean much less debt after graduation than being a psychiatrist. So this may be an option after all. I think I would likely provide most services a Psychologist could such as testing, therapy for a wide variety of reasons/ disorders. I'd like to have my own practice some day. And teaching a couple of online classes a semester might be a decent part time income. Does anyone know what one would make teaching a class online? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.