Mac vs PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT2ndtimesthecharm?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I know this has been asked before. I also know that it is more of a personal choice. Any current students have a reason for one or the other? I currently have a PC that needs replacing. I also own apple products so I am familiar with both. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

macs last a lot longer, they can use word and excel and other Office products but they are more expensive and some business and engineering type software doesn't work on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a Macbook Pro for the last four years and absolutely love it; works like the day I bought it and has survived travel and being dropped numerous times. HOWEVER, when the day comes that I need to replace it, I don't think I will do it again. It seems like Apple is going further and further into the realm of proprietary equipment, such as the HDMI ports/outputs, etc. Mine is the generation before they started to really go that route, so I haven't had any issues, but from what my IT fiancee says, newer ones have become more specialized so that not only are you shelling out major dough for the computer, but also to get an adaptor so if you want to plug it in to anything besides and Apple product. If you're just doing basic stuff and school work, these days you can get a great, slim, fast PC laptop with a solid state drive for $500-$800.

I have a PC because OneNote is fabulous for Windows and kind of crappy for Mac.

I have a PC because OneNote is fabulous for Windows and kind of crappy for Mac.
True. Most of classmates have PCs and I'm sometimes jealous about how much better One Note seems to work for them. I'm came very close to getting rid of my Mac and buying a Surface Pro for that very reason. I just couldn't justify the cost when everything else about my laptop works fine. I might make it a birthday/Christmas present to myself next year.

But the battery on the surface pro 4 is atrocious according to every tech reviewer.

If you don't know how to use a Mac I would stick with PC. I switched over to a Mac a month before starting PT school and was extremely disorganized, which caused unnecessary stress and hurt my grades.

That said, after a year of using a Mac and learning the ropes, I will not be going back to a PC. In general I think it's a much smoother system that makes it easier to organize (if you know understand how to use it).