Mac vs PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweepsingle33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, incoming M1 here. I am going to be purchasing a new laptop for school within the next month or two. I know that pretty much any computer will fulfill the basic requirements for medical school. I prefer PCs and have always used them in the past. However, would it be worth it to get a mac for easier syncing of my notes/study materials from the iPad I am given to use by my school?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter and don't let anyone sway you one way or the other. IT DOESNT MATTER. Neither system will make your life easier.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, incoming M1 here. I am going to be purchasing a new laptop for school within the next month or two. I know that pretty much any computer will fulfill the basic requirements for medical school. I prefer PCs and have always used them in the past. However, would it be worth it to get a mac for easier syncing of my notes/study materials from the iPad I am given to use by my school?

Look I'm a Mac guy all day but if you're comfortable with Windows, get a Windows OS laptop. Google Drive & Google Docs can sync everything between your iPad and laptop.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look I'm a Mac guy all day but if you're comfortable with Windows, get a Windows OS laptop. Google Drive & Google Docs can sync everything between your iPad and laptop.
Awesome, thank you for the tip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
"Mac vs PC" is the new "DO vs MD" type of thread.

Sweet bejeebus how many of these can be made in a month...

Use whatever you are most comfortable with. There is no clear winner in terms of what platform would be better.

I was a long-time PC user, got a Mac during MS3 and love it. I must prefer the workflow and UI of macOS. That said, there are certainly cons to the platform: the cost, lack of gaming, more limited program support, particularly for legacy programs (though this is improving), etc..

I'm planning on building a PC which I'm going to use for my home entertainment center for the purposes of gaming. In terms of day-to-day use, however, I much prefer the Mac.

Get a mac. I'm still using my macbook pro from 2010 and its just as fast as the ones at the apple store for most things. It started to slow down last year so I upgraded the RAM and hard drive for a total of $150. These things are bullet proof and, I know this sounds corny, everything "just works". Like all the time. Its reliable af. Plus your files instantly sync with your iPhone if you have one, which is super convenient.

Reactions: 1 users
Get a mac. I'm still using my macbook pro from 2010 and its just as fast as the ones at the apple store for most things. It started to slow down last year so I upgraded the RAM and hard drive for a total of $150. These things are bullet proof and, I know this sounds corny, everything "just works". Like all the time. Its reliable af. Plus your files instantly sync with your iPhone if you have one, which is super convenient.
Every computer you could buy in the store now, PC or Mac, comes with the sort of hard drive you put in your old Mac from 2010. I have a 2009 MacBook Pro to which I did the same thing. Works great but is heavy and has a terrible display.

EDIT: did you mean the MacBooks themselves are bulletproof?? I definitely agree with that. Mine has taken a real beating and still works flawlessly.

Last edited:
If you have so much money that the price you pay for the computer is of absolutely no meaning, then feel free to get a Mac. If you value getting the best hardware for the price or don't have $2,500 to spend on a computer, the best PC option is the Dell XPS 13. Amazing display, and it has great portability.

Any concerns you have about syncing outside of Apple devices is irrelevant because everything can be done on basically PC or Mac or Linux or whatever.

If you can afford it pick which one you work better with. Otherwise go windows since you get better hardware for the money. Also windows can be changed to do whatever you want typically since there are always programs/mods/etc to change it. Mac will be the way it is.

As a windows guy everything has worked on windows. Never felt like things don't work lol

My program is apparently flush with cash, and I can spend about $2500 on new toys. Been a PC user all my life, actually right now all I use is my ASUS chromebook -which is phenomenal. Does everything I want and I can use EPIC on it, amazing battery life easily >10 hours.

Since I'm basically getting a free computer (or whatever else I want to spend my money on) I figured Id go with the trendy option of buying a new macbook pro. But the inner cheap ass in me knows I will be getting much better value with the XPS 13. I want it to be ultraportable - but frankly the only reason Im getting it is because it's hip and trendy. I could very well continue using this chromebook and all would be well.

So.. I guess I'll just get the Macbook because I'm not paying for it and I have a more than capable backup.

If you're an MS1, chances are you're broke AF and are paying for this out of your pocket. My advice would be to go for the value option, and get a Mac when someone else is shelling out the dough. Deuces

P.s. If I had to buy a new laptop with my own money I'd buy the XPS 13 2 in 1.

Mac

PC is for chodes