Mac vs. Tablet PC vs. something else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I :love: Macs, but I'm wondering if this is the best choice for vet school. See, my dad broke off the end of the charger in the computer and it will cost half the amount of getting a new computer to replace the charger area. He feels really bad about this and will probably be buying me a new one. Now, I'm leaning towards a MacBook, but I wonder if there will be compatibility issues. I just really don't like PCs. They get viruses, crash, etc. But I've heard tablet PCs are great for vet school. How hard is it to get them to read your writing? How heavy are they? What laptops do you have and why do you like them? Should I call Tennessee and see what they recommend? So many questions....

Members don't see this ad.

bump...can someone help me?

bump...can someone help me?

Call ten and see what they recommend. The one thing you will want to ask is if their IT department supports macs (some universities don't)

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're happy using macs, then get a mac....i've heard just as many bad things about the tablet PC as good things, and if you don't like PCs to begin with, you'll probably be unhappy with it.

Don't forget that the new macs can run windows in addition to the Mac OS (you can boot separately with Boot Camp and run them together with parallels). And if you get a new one, you can always get applecare to take of your computer for the next 3 years.

My friend had the tablet PC and it seemed like the handwriting recognition was pretty good. She also could just use the notebook to keep it as her handwriting. it seemed pretty good.

It depends on how heavily your school utilizes computers... At the U of MN, they requested that we get a PC, but the only thing that we've actually needed a PC for was to run one CD ROM. As dyachei said, you can simply run Bootcamp and turn your Macbook into a PC when you need to, and use it as a Mac the rest of the time. I'd say there are about 10 macs in my class of 90 (including me), and we all get along just fine without having PCs.

i dont know how good a tablet pc is, but i really want one. i looked at the demos of the tablet pc...and i soo want it. i have a friend say that their friend has one, and the handwriting recognition gets better the more you use it. and i think its SUPER cool that you can write directly onto powerpoint pictures and stuff. if i could get one now, i would. have a sony vaio, which is great because it's only 10.1 inches and weights less than 2 lbs or something. but THEN i saw this computer

http://www.oqo.com/

its super small! anyway, good luck looking for a computer :)

Thanks everyone! :) But it looks like my iBook and I are sticking together. My dad took it to a jewelry store (of all places) and they were able to extract the broken piece. Guess we're going to stay together. :thumbup: