Technology Mac Word issues

Started by Koko
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Koko

Koko
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since my school has lousy tech support, anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with my Word program on my G4: first it would "unexpectedly quit" whenever I tried to print. Now, it also will occasionally quit when I am viewing a word doc.

Any ideas?
 
Koko said:
Since my school has lousy tech support, anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with my Word program on my G4: first it would "unexpectedly quit" whenever I tried to print. Now, it also will occasionally quit when I am viewing a word doc.

Any ideas?
It's a Microsoft app, so the obvious solution is reboot. If that doesn't work, erase and reinstall the program. If you were using Windows, I'd say wipe the drive and reinstall the OS next.

Honestly, Word on OS X (and Windows for that matter) has never been perfectly stable for me, either.
 
Sessamoid said:
It's a Microsoft app, so the obvious solution is reboot. If that doesn't work, erase and reinstall the program. If you were using Windows, I'd say wipe the drive and reinstall the OS next.

Honestly, Word on OS X (and Windows for that matter) has never been perfectly stable for me, either.

Thanks for the suggestions. Already tried rebooting. I'm not sure if I have the CD to reinstall Word. If not, I'll try and track down one at school and give that a try.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember having some problems with my G3 with office, but i've since upgraded to a G5 and haven't had any problems with it at all. Is this word 2004? There may have been some updates that this particular computer is lacking. Try clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner, and click on system updates, and see if there is anything related to microsoft office. If there are none, try checking the apple site for the same thing. If it still doesn't work, try reinstalling.

Is your computer new? When I got my new computer, I had problems with a bunch of prograns unexpectedly quitting (especially safari), but they eventually cleared up without any intervention.
 
vixenell said:
I remember having some problems with my G3 with office, but i've since upgraded to a G5 and haven't had any problems with it at all. Is this word 2004? There may have been some updates that this particular computer is lacking. Try clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner, and click on system updates, and see if there is anything related to microsoft office. If there are none, try checking the apple site for the same thing. If it still doesn't work, try reinstalling.

Is your computer new? When I got my new computer, I had problems with a bunch of prograns unexpectedly quitting (especially safari), but they eventually cleared up without any intervention.

I routinely update software when propmpted, so that shouldn't be an issue. My computer isn't new - bought it fall of 2002. The program is Word for Mac v.X version.

I'm in the process of locating a Word cd so that I can uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks.
 
I've found office 2004 for mac very stable with OS X. If you can't solve your prob with V.x maybe try an academic copy of office 2004?
 
JobsFan said:
I've found office 2004 for mac very stable with OS X. If you can't solve your prob with V.x maybe try an academic copy of office 2004?

Thanks. I seem to have solved the problem by deleting my printer since Word no longer quits upon trying to print a doc. The only problem is that I can't test this until I receive my new printer that is en route...very excited.

Yes, that is sad.
 
Strange problem, sorry to hear you were having it.

My Office X is soooooo slow when compared to my windows version, but I can't stand to use windows unless I'm forced to. I guess I'd rather have a slow version than a crashing version.
 
ItsGavinC said:
Strange problem, sorry to hear you were having it.

My Office X is soooooo slow when compared to my windows version, but I can't stand to use windows unless I'm forced to. I guess I'd rather have a slow version than a crashing version.

Yes, strange and annoying. But, the moment of truth nears: FedEx tried to deliver my sweet, new printer today...while I was at clinic. So hopefully tomorrow night I will be pleasantly surprised to hook up the new puppy and go print crazy. 😀
 
Yup, sure enough, after dumping the HP nightmare, and with the new sweet a$$ Brother Laser, so more Word issues.

Thanks all.
 
😡 😡 😡 😡 😡
Spoke too soon. After a day of bliss with my new brother laser (much too short of a honeymoon), I repeatedly got paper jam errors - BUT NO PAPER JAM! One replacement printer later and two long calls to customer support and...Word is the culprit!%$#@^&*!

Just a heads up to people out there since this is unusual, but clearly happens.

Phew. I actually feel a little better.
 
Koko said:
😡 😡 😡 😡 😡
Spoke too soon. After a day of bliss with my new brother laser (much too short of a honeymoon), I repeatedly got paper jam errors - BUT NO PAPER JAM! One replacement printer later and two long calls to customer support and...Word is the culprit!%$#@^&*!

Just a heads up to people out there since this is unusual, but clearly happens.

Phew. I actually feel a little better.

See, Microsoft haunts you no matter what you do!
 
I just tried reloading Office:Mac, with no change for the better (after first trying the software install/restore disc that did nada).

I will consult a mac guru later this weekend. Anyone else have any bright ideas?
 
Koko said:
I just tried reloading Office:Mac, with no change for the better (after first trying the software install/restore disc that did nada).

I will consult a mac guru later this weekend. Anyone else have any bright ideas?

Perhaps you should just upgrade to Office 2004?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmmm. Who would've thought two butt groovin sdners could be helpful? :laugh:

Thanks.
 
The solution: dumped word and reinstalled. Now for some reason pdf files take like 10 minutes per page even thought the printer has 16 meg.