Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

MACROECONOMICS please

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mysteriousCIA, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mysteriousCIA

mysteriousCIA Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Who has done Macroeconomics? How was it ? is it difficult and boring? and does it require a lot of studying. I'm asking because i'm trying to form my schedule for the fall semester and i'll already be taking Org II, Calc II, and working full time (40+ hours per week). Thanks..........

oh!!! i will also be taking october PCAT. is this a suicidal combination

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    for me, i thought it was easy. i spent minimal amount of time studying for it. Material is straight forward. You might need to review a few definitions and be able to interpret what is on the graph and what does it mean when two lines intersect. There were times when i didn't study for a test and still got an A. I took AP econ in high school though, it might have helped.

I felt it was easy, but I didn't have to work 40+ hours and take ochem and calc. If it were me, and I were taking ochem and calc, I could handle taking Econ. I'm not sure how much the working would take out of you. I say if you're in a rush to finish your pre reqs, go for it and tough it out. I don't think it'll add too much more to your courseload, which is already pretty heavy.
    Good Luck. Cheers

4. DuocSi2010

DuocSi2010 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I agree with the previous person. Macroeconomics was very easy. I would say it's one of those blow off easy A class. Although I did have a really cool TA and not the main professor which I heard was hard. It was actually interesting to me and I thought it was actually beneficial. There are very little, basic math and a lot of simple graphing. I didn't even buy a book. Just make sure you read your notes before the exams and study those graphs well. I didn't take microecon but I heard it's a little harder. You'll be fine taking it along with ochem 2 and calc 2. I'd say the only class that would consume most of your time would be ochem 2, especially the lab.

5. ttran01

ttran01 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    i took ap econ in high school (macroecon) we used the same book as the community college in the area. i actually thought the class was kinda hard..but i was in high school and had other things to worry about...lol...but the material wasnt too bad..you just have to read and be able to draw graphs and stuff..in my class the teacher didnt like math so we didnt use any kinds of equations or anything that involved solving math problems..other classes might have done math stuff..but im thinking it all depends on the teacher you have. have u heard anything about the teacher that teaches the class? what kind of of calculus 2 are you taking? is it the one for life sciences or engineering? i just finished cal 2 for the life sciences this summer and i loved that class...i had an okay teacher..but mostly learned everything from the book. it wasnt difficult...you just had to know how to use all these integration techniques and recognize which technique to use to solve all sorts of problems. but im more of a math person so thats probably why i thought it was kinda easy.

6. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Ask around - I think difficulty would depend on teacher. I actually took my class on-line, and we had multiple choice tests, so it did not take a lot of extra studying, just keeping up with the material as we went through the quarter. However, I can see how a hard teacher could make that a very difficult class!!

7. mph2pharm

mph2pharm Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with Rxlynn in that I think it depends on the teacher. I just finished Macro during the summer and I found the class to be very time consuming. I did work full time but I also had a pretty demanding teacher. We had three exams for the semester (each lasting 2 1/2 hours), 8 quizzes, 3 papers (each around 7 pages in length) and 5 bonus discussion questions that had to be completed. The average exam score for my class was around 65 to 70 for each exam. But again this was a summer course so everything was on a fast track.

On the other hand, my husband took a grad level Macroeconomics course and he said that my course (which I took at a community college) seemed to be a whole lot harder than his. So again I think that it depends on the teacher but I definitely wouldn't go into it thinking that this is an easy A course because very few people in my class actually ended up getting an A. Good luck!

8. mysteriousCIA

mysteriousCIA Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Geez, thanks for the input everyone

9. mysteriousCIA

mysteriousCIA Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Oh!!, i forgot to mention that i will be taking October PCAT. is this a suicidal combination?

10. ChemistI

ChemistI Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    try to take it in a community college. i found it easy and straight forward. take macro before you take micro.

good luck!

11. PRINCESS_IJ

PRINCESS_IJ Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    wow, it seems like we had/have a similar situation. i will be taking org 2 and calc 2 in the fall as well.Initially,i was thinking of adding macroeconomics to the mix, but then i need to blow the october PCAT out of the water because i want to attend my in-state school WHICH REQUIRES 80 & ABOVE.And after deep contemplation, i decided that taking org 2,calc 2, econs,PCAT, AND WORKING FULL TIME AS A REGISTERED NURSE,would probably jeopardise my chances of exceling in the PCAT this october.

Hence, i'll just have to take the ECONS and all the other stupid electives over the winter and spring. gOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION