• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

danhook

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
F-L-O-R-I-D-A
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I am trying to get a feel of how many people own macs in dental school and beyond. My class has around 25/82 and is growing by the day!! I realize this may be an abnormal amount however, I still believe it is growing. I am concerned about only having MacpracticeDDS to run my practice when I get out. I dont ever want to switch back...

Fuji

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
I've got a Vaio laptop but I'm going with a 24" iMac for home. Parallels may run a tad slower than if you re-boot with Bootcamp, but at least you can have both operating systems on the screen at the same time.

About the Ads

danhook

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
F-L-O-R-I-D-A
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Thanks for the responses- I currently own a macbook, and have been a mac owner since my father bought our first one in 1992. I realize I can run windows on my computer but honestly- it would be like opting to eat ramen noodles when I had a four star gourmet meal in front of me. I just wanted to get a feel for how many future dentists own a mac- I personally feel like there are more than the software developers are aware of.

catytweety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I have a powerbook since my 2nd year of college and have upgraded a few times. I wouldn't change my MAC for any other system... I really hope it gets easier to have macs in the dental field. I went to one of those dental conferences and pretty much all the software developers I stopped to look at said their software was for PCs only. :eek:

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Once you go MAC you can't go back! Love and swear by my powerbook.

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Once you go MAC you can't go back! Love and swear by my powerbook.

doncorleone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Our whole freakin school is mac based. its so awesome. all the students get mac laptops (our year and the year after us got powerbooks, the new guys got the new macbooks). they have imacs at every clinic chair and all of the charts are on the server.

dheav005

keepin' it movin'
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Norfolk
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
what program does your school use to run clinic in an academic setting? we have a pc-based program that is only used institutionally and it is as far from running as smooth as my macbook or mac mini as one could hope to get...

catytweety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Our whole freakin school is mac based. its so awesome. all the students get mac laptops (our year and the year after us got powerbooks, the new guys got the new macbooks). they have imacs at every clinic chair and all of the charts are on the server.

Which school do you go to? *if you don't mind me asking*

doncorleone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
we use axium. i thought it was pc based, but they have it running on the macs. we don't use virtual pc because i can access it on my laptop ( i don't have vPC). it runs great. you can definitely tell that it wasn't developed by mac users though, the layout and icons are lame.

TNT76

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I am attending San Antonio next year and we have to purchase a laptop through the school (laptop textbooks). However, they offer a choice of either a Mac or a PC. I have a powerbook now and there's no way I'd consider switching back to a PC, so I'm thrilled that they offer me the option. From what I understand when they first moved to laptop learning the first few years Macs were the only option. They have strict hard drive requirements as well as needs for imaging and for a few years they couldn't find PCs that met the criteria.
BTW, have you checked out the apple website article that features a dentist who has encorporated Macs into his office. It's ridiculous. Completely state of the art, amazing capabilities for patient tracking. Check it out. You may have to do a search since it was a few months ago.

About the Ads

doncorleone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
here's a link to the apple site with the article tnt was talking about. it has a little video that talks about his practice. it is pretty sweet.

danhook

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
F-L-O-R-I-D-A
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Thank you all for the feedback... stay tuned for the mac group- I am going to try and push for better PM software for when we get out of school... Posted this on dentaltown and everyone discounts the amount of macs there are and will be... I say BS- mac is growing and should continue as more and more people realize how much of a dream they are. Like I said watch for the dentists for mac group as I am going to start one soon- I feel this is important to running a satisfying practice by myself someday... let me know what you think via PM etc...

dheav005

keepin' it movin'
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Norfolk
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
we use axium... the layout and icons are lame.

axium!? man, am i ticked then...we went to axium back in august '06 and the school put HP server units in every cubicle. im not saying there were problems with axium, but i still wake up some mornings pining for the days of paper charting and film radiography. you are right about the layout and iconography...those darn canadians just dont have the intuitive feel for computer flow that the apple folks do...

DMdraws

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
Glad to see mac enthusiasts here! I've been using them since the late 80's (my dad brought home a mac plus - merely a fancy typewriter) and our family never looked back. He even became an apple dealer later on.

I was thrilled when I toured my future D-school and saw that the computer lab, where the students do patient scheduling, etc., was full of macs!!!!! :D

My current undergrad university only has Dell available for students and it's a pain. However, I've noticed that more and more of the biology and chemistry professors are sporting new shiny macs. People are waking up.

catytweety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Glad to see mac enthusiasts here! I've been using them since the late 80's (my dad brought home a mac plus - merely a fancy typewriter) and our family never looked back. He even became an apple dealer later on.

I was thrilled when I toured my future D-school and saw that the computer lab, where the students do patient scheduling, etc., was full of macs!!!!! :D

My current undergrad university only has Dell available for students and it's a pain. However, I've noticed that more and more of the biology and chemistry professors are sporting new shiny macs. People are waking up.

It's too bad UoP only uses Dells - BUMMERS! :thumbdown:

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Temple, D1, macbook

I would say there are 10 others or so...max

I still like both PC/Macs though as they offer different things for various tasks. I like the macs for simplicity and overall smarts.

I was raised on PC's though and will most likely use them fior business

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
OK, let me get this straight. Axium works on macs? I called the IT department at my school and they said that Axium is not compatible with macintosh. I'd rather get a mac than a PC.

Vicarbo

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I use a macbook, had a powerbook 12" loved it. I have to buy a dell (most likely) for dental school in July, but it will likely just gather dust :D I have fusion and windows XP on my computer that will run whatever they throw at it- so I'm not worried.

They said we had to have the "Special Software" installed on our computers to use them at school, so we would have to buy the recommended laptop. I asked them what the "special software was" and they told me it was to set up the wireless internet (how hard is it to put in a WEP or WPA password?) and virus software (macs don't really get viruses...). Oh well.

Let us know what the group is called danhook.

PS- anyone else excited for WWDC on Monday? New iPhone ? Macbooks? Who knows!

Last edited:

Flipps

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
Macs are great if you like the color white and you're kind of a sucker.

About the Ads

Regmata

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Roughly 80 of 93 use macs at Buffalo and there are rarely any complaints..except from the PC purchasers

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
OK, let me get this straight. Axium works on macs? I called the IT department at my school and they said that Axium is not compatible with macintosh. I'd rather get a mac than a PC.

sweet question, i would like to know as well.

jb54ram

DDS 2008, US ARMY
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2004
West Point, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
sweet question, i would like to know as well.

It certainly does. We have axium running on all the older powerbooks that are at each operatory. In addition all the members of our class were able to run axium on our powerbook g4 laptops.

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It certainly does. We have axium running on all the older powerbooks that are at each operatory. In addition all the members of our class were able to run axium on our powerbook g4 laptops.

did you have to use parallels or fuzion or something of that nature?

MONKEYBOY

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Considering the amazing change that can happen in the last 2 years with computers ...

by the time we are in practice we may be thinking about managing a practice in a completely new way.

5 years ago who would have thought:

hybrid cars are booming
pocket computers
wireless everywhere
tablet-PC's

Going to be great, hopefully there will be some better practice management software and hardware to make it easier :)

I wouldn't 'worry' about this issue until you are talking to architects about the building you want -- select a system then.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2000
Brooklyn, ct
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Most of the private practice world runs PC's for their practice management/digital radiography/etc. Just simply because they are WAY more options both software and hardware wise.

Mac's just don't have as many options. Less options = less demand = less profit = less reason for software companies to cater to them

On the flipside, alot of practices will have a slew of PC's running the practice and a Mac of some sort sitting back on the dentist's desk for personal use.

ss2kj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hah. ...ummmmm...

...i love my black macbook...

Hi, I'm gonna be your classmate next year. and i'm thinking getting a mac. never had one before. Do you know if a mac is gonna be compatible with whatever it is that we are doing next year??
VCU School of Dentistry Class of 2012

About the Ads

Lurchdubious

the Homeless Ninja
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2007
VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hi, I'm gonna be your classmate next year. and i'm thinking getting a mac. never had one before. Do you know if a mac is gonna be compatible with whatever it is that we are doing next year??
VCU School of Dentistry Class of 2012
hey classmate! have you checked out the facebook group we started? i discussed this with some other of our classmates a few times. one of our other classmates (who was a D 0.5 has a mac and he says he hasn't had any troubles. i'm about 95% sure we'll be ok using mac's and running windows occasionally. i'll just buy MS Office for Mac and maybe a new copy of Parallels to run WinXP and i think that will pretty much cover it. although, i won't be buying my new mac until a lil while after classes start, just to be safe.
the other reason i think we'll be fine is that we aren't required to have a LAPTOP; that desktops also fulfill our computing requirements. the school says they require a computer "running windows, NOT Macintosh." ...they don't seem to understand that Macs DO run windows with ease. lol.

~Josh

dmonee6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2005
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
just figured since i'm a mac fanatic i'd chime in a little on the practice management software concern. There are way more than just MacPracticDDS... a quick google of the topic came up with MacDent Pro, Macsimum Migration, Ace Dental, Toothpick, Account Master's Dental Lab software. I'm sure you could probably find more. I'm not sure how good these all are, but at least you know there are more options.

I'm kinda bummed that Nova makes us buy a Dell... but at least its a tablet, which is kinda cool since i've never had one before. But i'm definitely going to cry if Apple comes out with a tablet! lol

stdmufin27

It's H-O-T in Sin City
10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Nevada
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Just received the order details for my Dell :(. Oh, well....I guess I'll put my time in for the next 4 years then right back to Apple :thumbup:.

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, Long Island
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you have the intel based macbooks you can install XP on them. Then you can have OS X and windows XP on the same machine. Hell, on welcome day SBU told us to do that.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It looks like Buffalo is Mac only. :D
Boot camp and Parallel has made PCs *ahem* redundant. :thumbup:

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2000
Brooklyn, ct
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
just figured since i'm a mac fanatic i'd chime in a little on the practice management software concern. There are way more than just MacPracticDDS... a quick google of the topic came up with MacDent Pro, Macsimum Migration, Ace Dental, Toothpick, Account Master's Dental Lab software. I'm sure you could probably find more. I'm not my how good these all are, but at least you know there are more options.

I'm kinda bummed that Nova makes us buy a Dell... but at least its a tablet, which is kinda cool since i've never had one before. But i'm definitely going to cry if Apple comes out with a tablet! lol

Once you see a PC running Dentrix as a practice management software seamlessly integrated with your digital radiography and the Guru feature that Dentrix has to answer tons of your patient's questions as your checking hygiene, then you'll warm to a PC:D

If you count my 2 lap tops and a tower at home, combined with what I have in my office, I'm either the owner or co-owner of 17 PC's currently:eek: And we're about to add 2 more to the office (I'm still trying to comprehend though how an office with 13 total employees needs 16 PC's to get everything done efficiently:rolleyes: but it does

UCFpremed

Tooth Shucker
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Our school made us buy these Lenovo T60s that stopped production two weeks after buying them...for $1700 not to mention. I sold mine because I have a macbook and running parallels and I had IT load all the dental software onto windows on the mac. I recently went to the Florida National Dental Convention (FNDC) and was anticipating a really cool MacpracticeDDS.

However I was really disappointed. I was expecting the usual user friendly mac software that I was used to but that was not the case. I currently use Dentrix at my externship and it's ridiculously easy to use and works seamlessly with the Dexis digital radiography software. Hopefully by the time I get out of school Macpractice will be more intuitive and there will be more options for us mac users.

prplmnky52

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Have you ever tried to dl any free/freeish software for a mac? Have you ever tried to use a .rar document? Have you ever tried to play a video game on a mac?
Anyone who buys a mac is a chump. 1500-2500 dollars depending on specs and the only thing you chumps do with them is send email, play snood and surf the net. Yes it is pretty. I like pretty too. I love lamp.
I hate iPods too. The solid state ones are ok...mine has deleted the songs on it 3 times and required reboots. My wife's is just a nightmare with the 80GB HD that is moodier than...well, my wife. Her mac won't even recognize that it's attached 75% of the time. Man I hate macs.

Have you ever tried to fix an actual problem on a mac...noper..that's why they have the mac store.
Software, beta editions, pirated stuff, easy fixing, the liberty to see what's on your computer without bringing it in to a store,

I get it, I get it. It's all designed and manufactured by the same company so that it runs smoother and you can edit movies and stuff better. But who here NEEDS that kind of thing. You're not all animation artists or designers...you study, email, surf and play little stupid addicting games in class. why would you need a high performance machine? pc's are just as fast at all that crap...you can't tell a difference unless you're using heavy editing tools.

I really feel like people who "love macs so much" just say it so loudly so that they don't feel like idiots about how much money they spent for a shiny white computer. maybe if they convince others to make a horrible financial decision, they will feel justified, and feel a little less lonely in the big empty room labeled "mac chumps".

as for software...this has already been written about previously. Compatibility issues everywhere...macs blow. man i hate them.

The moral of the story is that you use the same microsoft office, photoshop, quicken, firefox (or safari if you like having every internet site deny you), as the rest of us PCers. PC laptop $800 mac book pro 1999.

macs suck

as for buffalo, the only reason they all have macs is b/c you get a free ipod with the purchase, and they make you buy the school's comps and they cost about the same.

macs only have one button...macs blow

macs have that cool thing where you bring the cursor to the top right and all the open screens get small so that you can pick the one you want. and then you go to the top left and all the screens fly off the corners of the monitor. sweet.......
you can dl a program for free that does that for pc...
macs suck

macs have you pay for everything...no free ware.

macs only have one button...still.

any pretty thing that a mac makes software wise, is downloadable, for free, as a theme or desktop modulation.

macs killed my dog.

macs hate blind children

macs have dentinogenisis imperfecta.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I wouldn't go that far mi amigo.

Looks like my mac enthusiasm got the best of me.
Still the Macs have been getting better. They may be great for school but I fully expect to go PC once I'm out.

As buffalo offering Macs because of the iPod deal. It is totally false. They offer it with Epson R280 printer.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Have you ever tried to dl any free/freeish software for a mac? Have you ever tried to use a .rar document? Have you ever tried to play a video game on a mac?
Anyone who buys a mac is a chump. 1500-2500 dollars depending on specs and the only thing you chumps do with them is send email, play snood and surf the net. Yes it is pretty. I like pretty too. I love lamp.
I hate iPods too. The solid state ones are ok...mine has deleted the songs on it 3 times and required reboots. My wife's is just a nightmare with the 80GB HD that is moodier than...well, my wife. Her mac won't even recognize that it's attached 75% of the time. Man I hate macs.

Have you ever tried to fix an actual problem on a mac...noper..that's why they have the mac store.
Software, beta editions, pirated stuff, easy fixing, the liberty to see what's on your computer without bringing it in to a store,

I get it, I get it. It's all designed and manufactured by the same company so that it runs smoother and you can edit movies and stuff better. But who here NEEDS that kind of thing. You're not all animation artists or designers...you study, email, surf and play little stupid addicting games in class. why would you need a high performance machine? pc's are just as fast at all that crap...you can't tell a difference unless you're using heavy editing tools.

I really feel like people who "love macs so much" just say it so loudly so that they don't feel like idiots about how much money they spent for a shiny white computer. maybe if they convince others to make a horrible financial decision, they will feel justified, and feel a little less lonely in the big empty room labeled "mac chumps".

as for software...this has already been written about previously. Compatibility issues everywhere...macs blow. man i hate them.

The moral of the story is that you use the same microsoft office, photoshop, quicken, firefox (or safari if you like having every internet site deny you), as the rest of us PCers. PC laptop $800 mac book pro 1999.

macs suck

as for buffalo, the only reason they all have macs is b/c you get a free ipod with the purchase, and they make you buy the school's comps and they cost about the same.

macs have that cool thing where you bring the cursor to the top right and all the open screens get small so that you can pick the one you want. and then you go to the top left and all the screens fly off the corners of the monitor. sweet.......
macs suck

any pretty thing that a mac makes software wise, is downloadable, for free, as a theme or desktop modulation.

macs killed my dog.

macs hate blind children

Could you repeat this again. I missed it because I was dozing off. :smuggrin:

prplmnky52

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
ask the people who are in school right now mr. 2012. ipods gratis w/ purchase...deals change...printer>ipod in my opinion so good 4 u. but ipod is why they bought it.

Lurchdubious

the Homeless Ninja
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2007
VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

macs suck

macs suck

macs killed my dog.

macs hate blind children

HAH. This is dumb. apples & oranges, friend.

stdmufin27

It's H-O-T in Sin City
10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Nevada
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
HAH. This is dumb. apples & oranges, friend.

WARNING....devil's advocate post coming...you've been warned!

So really, MAC's are overrated at this point in time. The man above, though a bit rash, has a point (especially w/ the blind children). They simply don't function that much better for the majority of limited functions that students use a laptop for. Are they cool? Hell yeah. Are they worth the price (right now)? Hell no. I love them personally but I'm not so doped up on the cool Apple technology/commercials/flat-out "hoopla" to think that PC's and MAC's are apples and oranges. Honestly, PC's are vastly better for school and work.

With that being said I'm back to my old self...phew, I can't wait to waste wads of cash on that cool technology. July 11th or bust!

Lurchdubious

the Homeless Ninja
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2007
VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
WARNING....devil's advocate post coming...you've been warned!

So really, MAC's are overrated at this point in time. The man above, though a bit rash, has a point (especially w/ the blind children). They simply don't function that much better for the majority of limited functions that students use a laptop for. Are they cool? Hell yeah. Are they worth the price (right now)? Hell no. I love them personally but I'm not so doped up on the cool Apple technology/commercials/flat-out "hoopla" to think that PC's and MAC's are apples and oranges. Honestly, PC's are vastly better for school and work.

With that being said I'm back to my old self...phew, I can't wait to waste wads of cash on that cool technology. July 11th or bust!
oh, i have no doubt i'll get flamed. not a big deal. but really, the gayest comparison mentioned above was the $800 pc price compared to the $1999 macbook pro price. put components in a pc equal to the MB pro and the price is NOT that different. a slightly more accurate comparison would be an $800 pc compared to a base macbook priced at $999 (w/education discount). i'll gladly pay a couple hundred extra to have a machine that runs just as fast at 18 months old as it did the first day out of the box, despite being used over 4-9 hours per day doing a heck of a lot more than just 'send emails and surf the net' and while running absolutely zero antivirus/spyware software.
i used a pc laptop for approximately 4 times longer than i've owned my macbook, and i was a hard sell when my friend tried to convert me to mac, but since about the 3rd day of using my mac i have maintained absolutely no desire to ever touch a pc again.

i'm sorry that macs killed your dog, prplmnky, but it's time to get over it. accidents happen.

stdmufin27

It's H-O-T in Sin City
10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Nevada
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
oh, i have no doubt i'll get flamed. not a big deal. but really, the gayest comparison mentioned above was the $800 pc price compared to the $1999 macbook pro price. put components in a pc equal to the MB pro and the price is NOT that different. a slightly more accurate comparison would be an $800 pc compared to a base macbook priced at $999 (w/education discount). i'll gladly pay a couple hundred extra to have a machine that runs just as fast at 18 months old as it did the first day out of the box, despite being used over 4-9 hours per day doing a heck of a lot more than just 'send emails and surf the net' and while running absolutely zero antivirus/spyware software.
i used a pc laptop for approximately 4 times longer than i've owned my macbook, and i was a hard sell when my friend tried to convert me to mac, but since about the 3rd day of using my mac i have maintained absolutely no desire to ever touch a pc again.

i'm sorry that macs killed your dog, prplmnky, but it's time to get over it. accidents happen.

Wooh there cowboy. I was just stating the obvious about how they are more expensive overall (admit it...I know, my wife has a macbook). But don't get caught up on that, they are less functional to the "average" user. You rock for figuring them, apples, out...congrats. But that doesn't mean that Mac's are any closer to making sense to the everyday man. Time will tell if it will ever really will take hold in our field even. It'll take alot of future Dr. Friedman's for this orange vs. apple equal comparison to be valid.

BTW, the 18 month stipulation is complete bogus.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.