Macs in your school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you ever tried to dl any free/freeish software for a mac? Have you ever tried to use a .rar document?

Yep, I do all of that every day. I have tons of freeware. I use .rar documents every day (and I use UnrarX, which is freeware!)

macs only have one button...macs blow

One button with multi-button functionality. If that doesn't suit your fancy you do realize that any mouse works with a Mac, right? That's right, it doesn't have to be "Microsoft certified" to work. It just does.

Members don't see this ad.

I like macs because they get me hot chicks. "Ohhhhh your little white laptop is sooooo cute."

hey lurchdubious...do you play halo 3...i think i've played with you b4...pretty unique name

Members don't see this ad :)
hey lurchdubious...do you play halo 3...i think i've played with you b4...pretty unique name
i KNEW i'd seen the monkey before! yeah man i play sometimes. although my 'box is in storage right now so i haven't played for like 2 months.

I like everyone else am a life-long PC user. And now, I, like everyone else, am about to purchase a mac for dental school. But now this thread, especially the last few posts, have me thinking about what to buy now....

I mean, I've had several Dell's and they're useless unless you get a great warranty (which I did) so every time it eff's up, I get it fixed quickly. I don't like the idea of buying a laptop form Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, and definitely not from a place like WalMart or Sam's Club....I worked electronics retail and I know how many corners the manufacturers cut to get in-store machines at such a low price... they'll jack up the ram and hard drive b/c those are the two numbers that ignorant computer buyers have heard of, but the motherboards are pathetic, the power supplies are way too small, the hard drives are slow, the video cards are always integrated (now I know the macbook is integrated, but its still 144 MB and works fine for average use), and the sound card is a joke too.

So.....my question is, if I were to change my mind again and go back to a PC, what would you suggest?

And right now I'm using my girlfriend's 5 year old iBook (she got a new Macbook), and it's working about....300x faster than my $2500 dell I bought a few years ago...so longevity is definitely an issue with PC's...

Any thoughts?

yeah, i will say that pc's come with a ton of crap on them...and after a few years the load times get longer....there are lots of things you can do to fix that...just google it....reformatting your old pc could be a good option for you too.
new pc shopping is best done after doing a little research. do you want to play new games on it? do you just want a workhorse that can use office and email and surf....(most people dont ever use more than that) just a few things to watch out for that jacks up the price of a comp...which you might not need. 250 gb of memory for a laptop is ridiculous...i only have like 50, of the highest rpm memory and i bought a 500 gb external hard drive that i keep on my desk at home for big stuff like movies, xbox 360 games and pic/home movie storage. harddrive memory for a laptop can really up the $$ fast....consider what u want to have on you laptorp...most people dont need all the crap they accumulate.

back to pc stuff...video card is important if you are a gamer....but if you were a gamer, you would already know that. so...just get an onboard vid card...that makes it cheaper.

go to the website www.fatwallet.com it's a forum for people looking for deals. they post them and once a month or so you see a flaming good deal on a computer....usually discount coupons from dell or a crazy sale at some dept store.

try to build your own specs...thats the cheapest...dell.com with coupons, you can get a kik-a comp , even a decent gaming comp for ~ 880....seriously...i did.

good luck...and if you dont mind the crappy compatability of macs, the awkward user interface, the one button (albeit dual capable with a mouse...but who brings a mouse to class?) and most people here are saying that they pay for a mac, then they get windows anyways to put on so that they can do the stuff they want....lol...thats just hypocritical of anyone who says "macs rule!"

anywho they are pretty and not a bad option if you dont mind the $$, learning curve, and hours of frustration when you want to do something that is very easy on a pc...ie downloading compatible software.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

This year for the first time, we here at Buffalo have no option but to get a mac book pro. We do however have the option at no charge to get vista ultimate (running through osx's bootcamp I presume). I don't think this only mac policy could have been possible if bootcamp did not exist.

Personally, I am disappointed at this choice, though I can understand why it may have been undertaken. We got a reasonable deal which includes the 4 yr service policy as well as 10 loaner computers for the class. According to the school, we saved money by picking one vendor.

We used to have an option of IBM/Lenovo T60 notebooks or the Macs. ~70/85 students chose the macs, I'm sure a reasonable number took them because of the free ipod and the "oh its a mac, no viruses, it has to be better than microsoft trash, etc". I wish this choice was still there, but its not so I will do my best with what we have.

Luckily, with these new intel processors and nvidia graphics cards, in theory my MBP is the same as any other 'PC' with the same specs. In practice it is not the case. I will be running windows and the different standard keyboards will take a bit of practice getting used to (ex. in order to forward delete, you must hit fn + mac's delete (backspace) key, etc). No two button mouse, if you are not using a separate usb mouse you have to tap twice instead. Apple key vs ctrl. These issues I will simply get used to.

There is a little bit more complex issues when it comes to say reformatting your drive and reinstalling windows when one has a lot of experience building PCs and using them since mac uses EFI instead of BIOS and even then you must go through OSX and boot camp. Additionally, the windows drivers for the hardware in the machine (that Mac refuses to tell us what it is or provide drivers online) are only accessible through the osx disc. I hope there is some way to rip those drivers off the disc to keep for future reinstallations where I don't need to hunt for the osx disc.

And a question of looks, I feel a bit self conscious (won't be with everyone else having the same laptop :laugh: ) with the whole mac stereotype/type of people who are buying these machines.

I am lucky that there won't be tooo much for me to get used to, though if I had the option I wouldn't have picked the mac. I have a lot of experience with PCs and know that in general they are preferred type of computer out there in the 'real' world (though by simply using windows on a mac eliminates 90% of those differences). Perhaps they can let you choose a laptop of minimum specs from Buffalo's UBMicro store and sure if they want the loaners can be macs or whatever. But, I do understand their rationale behind the choice and will enjoy learning about my new little white machine though I wish we could have had a choice.

And on a side note, the way Macs do things are not necessarily better than PCs. They are simply DIFFERENT. You just have to get used to the differences. The same is true vice versa.

and most people here are saying that they pay for a mac, then they get windows anyways to put on so that they can do the stuff they want....lol...thats just hypocritical of anyone who says "macs rule!"

:thumbup: so true

I personally don't see why Macbooks are aesthetically more pleasing than an IBM. One is white (can be black), and the other comes in black. They're both shaped the same... rectangular. I guess one is glossy and other isn't ~ but... that's really about it. IBM got more buttons ~ I like that.

I also don't see the point of using Macbooks if IBM is available as an option. Here's a commentary that I relate to greatly ~ I too, hate Macs with a passion. I also hate people who uses OR thinks about using Macs.

my roomate and his girlfriend own iphones. i hate that. every argument or disagreement about something turns into a who-can-find-the-answer-fastest-on-their-iphone-challenge. i also used to hate ipods. everyone walking around listening to their white earbuds that blared their bad music extra loud from little speakers that deliberately make surrounding people listen to it made my blood boil.

that being said, i think it is ridiculous that people are on here spewing garbage about hating apple and macs. 'apple users are pretentious preening idiots.' 'people who carry macs just want everyone to know how much they spent on their computer so they dont feel like such an idiot about their bad investment' (that doesnt even make sense) my question is WHO CARES? what's it to you? so what if people want to spend more money on something that works? why does it bother YOU that people are carrying around a computer that someone has deemed cool or hip?

i am about 18 months into my macbook. i brought it with me to class almost every day for 3 semesters (mostly to dick around on the internet or write papers between classes) not a single virus. still works as fast as the day i got it out of the box, which is faster than any PC laptop I have ever used. has not crashed/froze/pissed me off ONCE (actually thats not true - once it froze when i was google-earthing my ex-girlfriends house, stupid b*tch :D)

all joking aside, yes, i will pay extra money to have something that just works. all the time.

hhmmm all i have to do is reformat my pc to make it work faster? :eek: i dont even know what the f*ck a .rar document IS. macs are perfect for computer ignoramuses (myself included) who dont WANT to know how to reformat their computers or beef up the security or reboot them every time something goes wrong or want to throw their laptop out the window from frustration.

yeah, a lot of people who own macbooks take them everywhere so you can see their COOL COMPUTERS. they sit in starbucks sipping fair-trade grande non-fat soy mocha lattes with a shot of seaweed extract, wearing a berets and trendy glasses, fuming about global warming and corporate america. conformists. (southpark reference) yes, they deserve death.

but who cares? they are idiots. i am one of the people that have 'made the switch' not because they are cool, but because i used them and they just worked and didnt piss me off. and i am sure there are lots of people who have done the same.

edit: one button sucks the fat one

Last edited:
woo....little touchy there.

just sayin they suck...

they do

really really bad.

my wife has one, i hate it, need to burn it

gl in life

People seem to be getting a little to touchy over this issue. Just get the computer that you want and move on!

woo....little touchy there.

just sayin they suck...

they do

really really bad.

my wife has one, i hate it, need to burn it

gl in life

not touchy at all! (maybe a little angry that i agreed to go dig holes in a field for my grandparents today in the 90 degree/ 80% humidity) just my $.02.

let us know how the burning goes :)

I personally don't see why Macbooks are aesthetically more pleasing than an IBM. One is white (can be black), and the other comes in black. They're both shaped the same... rectangular. I guess one is glossy and other isn't ~ but... that's really about it. IBM got more buttons ~ I like that.

I also don't see the point of using Macbooks if IBM is available as an option. Here's a commentary that I relate to greatly ~ I too, hate Macs with a passion. I also hate people who uses OR thinks about using Macs.

Once a hater, always a hater.

Maybe hate was too strong a word. Mmm, let's try disgust!

My roommate last year told me he was going to get a mac, i was like "wtf i'll never get a mac". Now he's got a dell and i'm typing this from my new macbook.

After researching, the best two options for build quality and customer service (all that really matters since the two machines are so alike now) is lenovo thinkpad series and mac. Thats it. Choose which OS you want and stfu.

I'm not going to write paragraphs, just going to let you guys know that you sound like ignorant little kids.

I'm not going to write paragraphs, just going to let you guys know that you sound like ignorant little kids.

Don't worry about your brevity, you wrote just enough for me to call you a (pick a word that makes you feel like I slapped you). With love.