Made a dumb mistake last year, is it worth reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
I applied this cycle and am currently on a couple of waitlists, i'm getting ready to reapply in case the waitlists don't pan out and i'm working on my list of schools right now. last year in my secondary essay for one school, I made a really dumb mistake, i was recycling a lot of essays and didnt proofread closely enough and said the name of a different school in that essay (i know i know... im embarrassed to even admit this) well anyway I got rejected from them last year, my question is do you think I should reapply to that school ? my gut tells me that this school gets 1000s upon 1000s of apps and if they even saw that typo, they probably just cast my app aside to the "rejection" pile and maybe never thought of it again, but the other part of me wonders if Ive been put on some blacklist because of this really dumb mistake. my grades, mcat and volunteer work are really competitive for this school, so I'm at a loss for what I should do? any input would be great. again I realize how dumb this mistake was, when you're writing about 40 essays in a matter of a few days, it can happen.

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,
I applied this cycle and am currently on a couple of waitlists, i'm getting ready to reapply in case the waitlists don't pan out and i'm working on my list of schools right now. last year in my secondary essay for one school, I made a really dumb mistake, i was recycling a lot of essays and didnt proofread closely enough and said the name of a different school in that essay (i know i know... im embarrassed to even admit this) well anyway I got rejected from them last year, my question is do you think I should reapply to that school ? my gut tells me that this school gets 1000s upon 1000s of apps and if they even saw that typo, they probably just cast my app aside to the "rejection" pile and maybe never thought of it again, but the other part of me wonders if Ive been put on some blacklist because of this really dumb mistake. my grades, mcat and volunteer work are really competitive for this school, so I'm at a loss for what I should do? any input would be great. again I realize how dumb this mistake was, when you're writing about 40 essays in a matter of a few days, it can happen.
You might as well re-apply to that school. Who knows if that school has such a black-list, or if your error was enough to put you on it? We couldn't answer that question even if we knew the school you are talking about, so you have no real reason not to apply there. If you are rejected again, you are rejected again.

Just be extra careful with all your application materials this cycle. :luck:

I think your error, OP, occurs more often than you think.

Where'd you get the idea med school admissions committees have a "blacklist"? We're not applying for country club memberships, here.

Reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-apply for sure. There's really no downside, if you get rejected again, so what.. at least you tried. I seriously doubt they will hold this against you in the next cycle anyway.

I think your error, OP, occurs more often than you think.

Where'd you get the idea med school admissions committees have a "blacklist"? We're not applying for country club memberships, here.

Reapply.

Haha I don't mean an actual physical list of people who are banned, just that they would remember the mistake if they were to see I was a reapplicant and compare applications to see how I've improved/ what's changed. Ah well thanks for the replies... And idk about you guys but I feel like I'm trying to get into a country club

Haha I don't mean an actual physical list of people who are banned, just that they would remember the mistake if they were to see I was a reapplicant and compare applications to see how I've improved/ what's changed. Ah well thanks for the replies... And idk about you guys but I feel like I'm trying to get into a country club

Well, if they use your app from last year as a comparison, you'll have a vast improvement in the bag-- you'll have the school's correct name.

Well, if they use your app from last year as a comparison, you'll have a vast improvement in the bag-- you'll have the school's correct name.

haha i deserve that. for the record, I had half the name right... and it was a very long essay.

Sorry but that's pretty funny lol I think it happens more than you think. Reapply

One school I applied to sent me an email rejecting me, and then a couple hours later, un-rejected me and said the email was sent in error.

Another school I was accepted to sent me an email addressed to a different person telling me my financial aid information was incomplete (mine was complete and this email was meant for someone else).

The point is that schools make mistakes too. Definitely re-apply.

One school I applied to sent me an email rejecting me, and then a couple hours later, un-rejected me and said the email was sent in error.

Another school I was accepted to sent me an email addressed to a different person telling me my financial aid information was incomplete (mine was complete and this email was meant for someone else).

The point is that schools make mistakes too. Definitely re-apply.

what a pleasant surprise
very nice

Re-apply. You don't have anything to lose by doing so.