Made a Mistake... Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alliefaith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have only been reading everything here and never posted anything but I really need some advice.

I originally majored in theatre when I went to college. I was almost complete when "LIFE HAPPENED" and I left school. I took some time off to recuperate and re-think my goals. I am now back in school in another state and majoring in Biology.

My issue is that my GPA fell to a 3.1 at my previous University. I really want to go to Dental school but I know that unless I have a minimum of a 3.5 then I won't even be considered. I probably have about 2 years to finish everything I need for my degree/pre-reqs for dental school. But even if I have straight A's it's not looking so good. Have I blown my chances?? I don't know what do to. My GPA is blank for this school because it's my first semester but what am I going to do when they calculate my old one with my new one? It's going to bring it WAY down. Any advice? Has anyone else gone through anything similar?

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to go to Dental school but I know that unless I have a minimum of a 3.5 then I won't even be considered. I probably have about 2 years to finish everything I need for my degree/pre-reqs for dental school.?
First of all, if you really read everything here you'd know that you definitely do not need a minimum of 3.5. I suggest you look through the interview/acceptance thread and you'll see plenty of people with a gpa less than 3.5 (also look at the 3.0 underdog thread. there are people who arguably made bigger "mistakes" than you and still made it). You have two years to get your GPA up; that's plenty of time. I assume that because you were theater major, you probably didn't take many science classes either (science GPA > overall GPA). They will factor your old GPA with your new one, but as long as you actually DO get high grades you are far from unrecoverable. Dental admission also like upward trend. From this point on, if you get high grades and study hard on your DAT, you can still comfortably get admitted into a number of dental schools. You won't start off from a clean slate, but that's okay. If you put in the effort now, I don't see a reason why you cant get into a dental school.

edit: the only real mistake you can make is not asking for someone's phone number on your interviews

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well no I haven't read everything but I typically look at those people as the exception and not the rule. Just to be on the safe side. And correct, I did not take a lot of science classes so I DO have a clean slate as far as that is concerned. I appreciate your advice and I am going to continue to do my best!

edit: the only real mistake you can make is not asking for someone's phone number on your interviews

hahahahahah ^^^

You can still get in even if your GPA is below 3.5 , just make sure it's not too low (like below a 3.0). Also, I'd recommend focusing mainly on the science classes, because if you can get A's in them, then it would help you out a lot, even if your overall GPA is not strong.