Magazine! Que For Current Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyestar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
I want to subscribe to an ophtho magazine but would like opinions on which ones are helpful for beginners, first year residents. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't subscribe. Save your money. I'm working with faculty around the country to produce FREE stuff for you on www.medrounds.org and www.eyerounds.org

In fact, I'm meeting with Allergan at their HQ in the near future to discuss financial backing for academic projects for residents. Thus, SAVE your money. Invest it into my company stock later on! ;)

You'll see a BOOM in content within the next year.

eyestar said:
hi!
I want to subscribe to an ophtho magazine but would like opinions on which ones are helpful for beginners, first year residents. Thanks

If you are an AMA member you can go ahead and get Archives. I think pfizer or one of the drug companies purchased AJO subscribtions for all of the residents at our program..and with your academy membership you can get the blue one.

I think all residents get Ocular Surgery News and Review of Ophthalmology for free also.

Personally, I have two subscriptions that I actually pay for. The first is to Survey of Ophthalmology. This journal will not give you randomized studies or case reports of unusal diseases, but has excellent review articles. Review articles are what I like at this point. The second is to Ophthalmology Clinics of North America. It is similar-but it is a hardbound volume that comes out every few months. They pick a broad area of ophthalmology and then have many review articles by different experts covering different topics within that area. There is a lot of good information.

Overall though, there is plenty of reading to do just to make it through the academy's BCSC series. If you find a journal you like, then maybe order it, but for residency it is really not necessary to have your own subscriptions. And I have found it generally more useful to order textbooks on specific areas of interest to me.