maggots, bees, and leeches . . . oh my!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

the learning channel has this awesome program covering the usefulness of these little critters.

kind of makes your stomach turn, but once you see how well they work and what they can work for . . . it is simple incredible and i am suprised that i haven't read much about this before.

anyhow, if you haven't already seen it, i really suggets that you take a look. tlc is also showing this program on limb re-attachment, micro-sugery is intense too.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that program on TLC yesterday. I was in awe when I saw the scalpings- ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

My whole family sat and watched in in sheer awe! Though I can't imagine the horror of having magggots taped to your body, they seem to have a great purpose in modern medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare to be booted to The Lounge...

I love TLC!

Having worked with several diabetics who have lost their lower limbs due to gangrene, it is nice to see some successful (though icky) alternatives. I'd rather have maggots live in my heel for a while than lose my foot (hopefully it will never have to come to that...)

This program, and others I've seen that touched on these topics, are quite interesting. I read a book a few months ago called "Honey, Mud, Maggots, and other Medical Marvels" It was pretty interesting how old methods are being intertwined with new medical advances. :)

I caught that show this morning - thank god I had already eaten breakfast. I was amazed by the usefulness of maggots in those DM patients with gangrenous feet. If only we could isolate the enzymes in their secretions so that a somewhat less stomach-turning therapy was available.

maggots happen to be quite funky little critters - they only eat the dead flesh, debride the wound well and then go on their merry way if allowed to.