Mail over break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

none

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, important question...I'm heading home for winter break for about a month beginning December 8th...should I let schools know to direct all mail to my permanent address that they plan on sending between then and when I come back January 3rd? So...if I should, when should I tell them? Next week? The week after? I want to get mail here until then...but I REALLY am extremely nervous about not getting important mail. And it looks like some schools still do send interview invites by snail mail.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having that same problem. I am planning on sending an e-mail to the schools about a week before indicating the dates that I can and should be reached at home. When I moved from home to school and had to change my address, the schools were pretty responsive to the e-mails. And they should be pretty understanding of the problem.

With that out of the way, my only problem this holiday should be finding a competent babysitter for my fish :)

Instead of contacting every med school, you can get your mail forwarded by the US Postal Service just for the time that you're away. Go to any post office and ask for a "change of address" form. Be sure to fill it out pretty soon, since it takes awhile to take effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am sure that you don't have to worry about it. these schools must have had students on break before. if something comes while you're away, i am sure they will understand why you haven't responded. they are aware that the applicants are human....most of the time. i say go home and make sure to spend some time NOT obsessing about this nightmare process. :)

Chill out everyone. Your mail isn't going to go anywhere. My suspicion is that schools won't be sending out any mail from about Dec. 21/22 to about Jan. 4. So, don't fret about that and ruin your break. I agree w/ Bruno's post about having your mail forwarded by the US Postal Service. That's probably the way to go...