Mailing a personal statement to schools that do not require a supplemental essay.

Dinked

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2016
I am wondering if its a faux pas to mail a personal statement to the admissions committee of schools that do not have their own supplemental personal statement essay requirement.

My personal statement really says volumes about me that I can only begin to echo on this years professionalism prompt.

astarblaze

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Physical Therapy Student
This wouldn't be appropriate, unless the school specifically states that they allow additional materials. But you could always contact the programs directly and ask. My guess is that most programs wouldn't toss your app out for sending in an extra essay, but it might be a negative for you, and the essay is probably unlikely to get read.

If you can, add the material in your personal statement to your response to the professionalism prompt. The professionalism prompt is intended to be a personal statement, anyways.

Reactions: beyoutiful_sunshine
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I am wondering if its a faux pas to mail a personal statement to the admissions committee of schools that do not have their own supplemental personal statement essay requirement.

My personal statement really says volumes about me that I can only begin to echo on this years professionalism prompt.
Don't.

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
Status
Physical Therapist
Don't....but really, your essay IS your personal statement. Sounds like you may want to rework the essay to capture all of your important content.

nd_dpt

2+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2015
Status
Physical Therapist
Don't. The school will not read it and it will not be included in your application.

beyoutiful_sunshine

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2015
Huntsville, Tx
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Don't. This year's essay is about professionalism and I feel like what you're thinking about doing is just the opposite.

If I were in an admission committee, I wouldn't even look at your essay as it wouldn't be fair to other applicants.

What the previous posts say is true: the professionalism essay is a personal statement. Try to look at what you already wrote and see how you can include that while still answering the prompt.

cafshDPT

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
Status
DPT / OTD
So, I had a clinician during shadowing that gave me the advice to include a cover letter with my mailed application materials. The cover letter basically is a short introduction about why you are interested in that specific program and what makes you a good candidate - just like a job application cover letter. I did this with all of my applications last year and was accepted at all of my schools. I think as long as it is tasteful, this wouldn't hurt - but realize that the content in this type of additional/superfluous materials may never be read or considered by your schools. For me, I believed strongly that on the off chance they did read it, it would help.

The call is ultimately yours, obviously, but just wanted to offer a different perspective.