Maimonides Psych Progrm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glyx-13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it malignant? It seems the roster is made up of mostly FMGs. Not sure if I should bother interviewing there.

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to be working with medical graduates from all over the world, and if you're going to be working in Brooklyn I would hope you try to learn a few things from them. A lot of them will be just as if not more competent than you. I hope your attitude towards your peers will change by then.

Reactions: 12 users
You're going to be working with medical graduates from all over the world, and if you're going to be working in Brooklyn I would hope you try to learn a few things from them. A lot of them will be just as if not more competent than you. I hope your attitude towards your peers will change by then.

My base hospital had plenty of FMGs and I enjoyed working with them...but my question wasn't about their competence. My question was about the program. Your judgement is premature and offensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
My base hospital had plenty of FMGs and I enjoyed working with them...but my question wasn't about their competence. My question was about the program. Your judgement is premature and offensive.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I found your judgement of a program's quality and assumption of malignancy based on the number of FMGs to be immature and offensive.

Reactions: 4 users
Well you inferred poorly on your part. My question of malignancy is based on previous comments I have found on this forum, these comments were made several years ago and didn't go into much detail, so I am asking for more information. Your assumptions again, are offensive, and I would think as a psychiatrist you would be less inclined to make snap judgements. Again if you have any information about the program, let me know, otherwise this is just derailment of the topic at hand.

Snap judgements are among the best tools of the trade in psychiatry, as long as your judgement is good. To return to the topic at hand, Maimo is a diverse program, busy, good training. The question is do you want to train and live in BK/NYC. Its not malignant as far as I know.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard good things about Maimo’s PD. The reputation of the program is that it’s reasonably hard working (it’s NYC after all) but not malignant. The FMGs in the program are intelligent and highly motivated. One notable way Maimo stands out from other FMG-heavy NYC programs is that residents are encouraged to perform/present/publish research, so it’s pretty “academic” for a “community” program.

In reality I think many programs prefer AMG MDs, then DO's, then IMGs and lastly FMGs in that order. When I had to sit in on the ranking meetings in residency that's what they did. Is this program affiliated with Albert Einstein Monteforte? I don't know if it's any indication but I went to the Kaufmann board review course this summer and it was AWFUL.

In reality I think many programs prefer AMG MDs, then DO's, then IMGs and lastly FMGs in that order. When I had to sit in on the ranking meetings in residency that's what they did. Is this program affiliated with Albert Einstein Monteforte? I don't know if it's any indication but I went to the Kaufmann board review course this summer and it was AWFUL.
Depends on the PD. I know one that tries to pick a diverse mix of highly qualified IMGs in with his US MDs and DOs, as IMGs often have very unique experiences and strong applications (we're talking 250-260 Step scores, many pubs, and attendings in their countries of origin) that you wouldn't see a US MD or DO matching to a lower ranked program with more often than not.

I had inside info on that program but it's years' old and likely no longer accurate. I would disregard info from programs that are over 3+ years old as many factors could change.

Some more constant factors are the quality of the PD, it's location, and the patient population.

Reactions: 1 user
First, check your facts. Maimo is not affiliated with Albert Einstein.

Second, your comment is unhelpful in that it talks about something unrelated to the program but may nonetheless throw a shade on the program for no good reason. A commercial board prep course (in neurology, not even psychiatry) has nothing to do with the quality of psychiatric training at the program. Albert Einstein is a reputable program in NYC, very education- and resident quality of life- focused, with solid psychotherapy training (possibly weaker on psychopharm, which still doesn't make it anywhere near AWFUL).

Depends on the PD. I know one that tries to pick a diverse mix of highly qualified IMGs in with his US MDs and DOs, as IMGs often have very unique experiences and strong applications (we're talking 250-260 Step scores, many pubs, and attendings in their countries of origin) that you wouldn't see a US MD or DO matching to a lower ranked program with more often than not.

Exactly. I have seen this happen as well. Some of these people were already attendings.

I've heard good things, definitely busy program but haven't heard any complaints of malignancy. One of the attendings I know likes moonlighting there because the residents tend to cover most of the work, but again I haven't heard any complaints to the level of malignancy or abuse.

Their PD has changed this year. Last year's sPD is a PD now.

Thank you all for the information! Some of these comments make it sound like a workhorse program, but I'll keep an open mind for the interview and report back with my impressions.

I'll add the outdated information. Years ago, while I was still a resident (and I wasn't a resident there), there allegedly was an attending that was malignant. He actually allegedly assaulted a resident but was taken off from teaching duties as a result of this. The same guy gave me a stress-interview, where he was intentionally rude, condescending, and acted as if he was trying to piss me off.

But IMHO it's not relevant now. He was taken off, and he allegedly was the only guy doing this type of unacceptable behavior. I knew about this cause a good friend was a resident there and I told her about the stress interview and she said "did he look like..." and the guy matched the exact description. She filled in how this guy was a total a-hole, was very rude, narcissistic and even sadistic at times with residents, but then he was taken off of resident teaching.

Also bear in mind that the first year I became a resident, the malignant culture thing was more accepted in residencies and had taken a significant step forward around that time with the new regulations such as maximum hours.

Thank you all for the information! Some of these comments make it sound like a workhorse program, but I'll keep an open mind for the interview and report back with my impressions.

It's not really. Got a friend there. Cap at 8 on the inpatient unit, which is standard. Outpatient is chill. Call is average, more front loaded: first 2 years 2/3 weekend shifts a month. No call 4th year. The ER can get busy but the workload overall is not more than your average program.

My friend graduated from there, she was pretty happy from the supportive environment. Then she did CL at a very competitive program. I interviewed there, too. My experience was great as well. You may contact me, I can answer based on experience there last year as an interviewee, and from my friend's comments.

My friend graduated from there, she was pretty happy from the supportive environment. Then she did CL at a very competitive program. I interviewed there, too. My experience was great as well. You may contact me, I can answer based on experience there last year as an interviewee, and from my friend's comments.
CL job or CL fellowship?

Like every private hospital in Brooklyn (“NYU Lutheran,” “Mount Sinai Brooklyn,” “Northwell Everything”) it is hard to imagine it remaining independent without massive state and city support, but I really don’t know anything about its finances.

From what I remember a while back psych residents at Maimo were very proud of their program. I also know one attending who graduated about a decade ago who says very good things about it. My info is obviously outdated though.

Last edited: