Mainland Puerto Ricans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droz1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a mainland Puerto Rican and a non-mainland Puerto Rican? If someone is born in the U.S. but was raised in Puerto Rico, what type of Puerto Rican is he/she?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between a mainland Puerto Rican and a non-mainland Puerto Rican? If someone is born in the U.S. but was raised in Puerto Rico, what type of Puerto Rican is he/she?

The question is born in the US to Puerto Rican parents or born in the US to parents of some other descent and then moved to Puerto Rico?

Born in the U.S. to Puerto Rican parents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Born in the U.S. to Puerto Rican parents.

I mean, if you're born to PR parents in the US and move back to PR then I guess it could go either way. I mean you're a citizen. You could probably classify yourself as a mainland or as from the island. I know a buncha kids who have lived in both...but most don't really get all into defining themselves one way or another. Is this something that's asked on the AMCAS? Cause it might be something for residency as to whether or not u would have PR residency...?

it depends on what you want to identify as. My friends that were raised in PR don't consider themselves mainland PRs. Those of us that were born and raised in the states are considered mainland ricans.

Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans.
I consider myself as simply a Puerto Rican but I was not sure what kind of Puerto Rican I would be in the eyes of the AAMC.

I consider myself as simply a Puerto Rican but I was not sure what kind of Puerto Rican I would be in the eyes of the AAMC.

I found this in another thread, hope it clears something up:

actuallly i sent the aamc an email about that and i got this response

Race/ethnicity is self description; that is you decide what you consider yourself. We do not differentiate between mainland and Commonwealth Puerto Ricans.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Lily May Johnson
Manager
AAMC
Division of Diversity Policy and Programs
2450 N Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
[email protected]
202-828-0573 (phone)
202-862-6282 (fax)

That was a fast response. Thank you ChemEngMd.