Maintaining "C"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hj714

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that people who got accepted need to receive minimum of "C" grade....what percentage is "c" in US? I'm from Canada and we use different scale up here. Our "C", at least from my university is 63 - 66%.

Thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

in my university, letter grades for most classes are arbitrary depending on the curve. Normally, the mean is set as a B and the rest of the grades are divided up accordingly. For classes that are not curved, C would be in the 70's

Members don't see this ad :)
hj714 said:
I understand that people who got accepted need to receive minimum of "C" grade....what percentage is "c" in US? I'm from Canada and we use different scale up here. Our "C", at least from my university is 63 - 66%.

Thanks alot

wow at my school I have to have a 77% to get a C.

Its basically impossible to get an A b/c we must get a 93%

C = 73-76%
A = 93-96% and so on...

Every school has their own grading system. But usually after grading scales and curves are applied, a C is between a 70-80 (not including 80). I don't think a C+ or C- makes a difference to the dental school, but you might want to call and ask since you're an international student.

hj714 said:

Thanks alot

Just stick with the ABC system at your school. Forget percentages because they don't mean anything when comparing Canadian and American schools. In Canada, 80-84 = A-, 85-89=A, 90+ = A+ . Now US students will look at that and say, holy ****e, it's so easy to get an A cuz down in the stats, I need a 93. BUT...our class averages range from Cs to B-s and they are mostly C+s at most. So it's best to compare class averages, not percentages. Our curve is centered at a 2.3 at the University of Toronto so I guess it compares with US schools like that.

Audio said:
Just stick with the ABC system at your school. Forget percentages because they don't mean anything when comparing Canadian and American schools. In Canada, 80-84 = A-, 85-89=A, 90+ = A+ . Now US students will look at that and say, holy ****e, it's so easy to get an A cuz down in the stats, I need a 93. BUT...our class averages range from Cs to B-s and they are mostly C+s at most. So it's best to compare class averages, not percentages. Our curve is centered at a 2.3 at the University of Toronto so I guess it compares with US schools like that.

i have no idea what your saying, but an 80 for an A is still helluva easy... my school does not go by a letter scale, but a straightforward 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 scale, does anyone else go to a school that does that?

americanpierg said:
i have no idea what your saying, but an 80 for an A is still helluva easy... my school does not go by a letter scale, but a straightforward 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 scale, does anyone else go to a school that does that?

From the way you use "helluva" I'm guessing you are from Nor. Cal? I go to UCDavis where we are on the 2.0-4.0 scale. 2.0-C, 2.3-C+, 2.6-B-, 3.0-B, 3.3-B+, and so on.

The canadian guy is right...

saying an 80 is "easy" is completely relative. Some professors write their exams to fit the normal distribution (ie: The average for a test will be around 70%). Other professors write their exams because they enjoy inflicting pain on students, so averages will be 40-50%. In the end it will all be adjusted to fit the standard curve and the same percentage of students will get A's, B's, C's, etc.

Hey Audio, which english course did you take and did you take inorganic chem?

Utes said:
The canadian guy is right...

saying an 80 is "easy" is completely relative. Some professors write their exams to fit the normal distribution (ie: The average for a test will be around 70%). Other professors write their exams because they enjoy inflicting pain on students, so averages will be 40-50%. In the end it will all be adjusted to fit the standard curve and the same percentage of students will get A's, B's, C's, etc.

mann thats not fair, so far none of my classes have been curved, i think i should switch undergrads

americanpierg said:
mann thats not fair, so far none of my classes have been curved, i think i should switch undergrads

Good luck. Welcome to the University of Toronto...one of the most competitive undergrads in the world.

i think in canada a C is a 30% :laugh:

Bungipug said:
i think in canada a C is a 30% :laugh:

Sometimes it is...

But only cause students often miss exams when their igloo doors freeze shut. :rolleyes:

But at my school a C is about 60-64% and most class averages are in this range or below. I'm Canadian as well.

If I have lower than a grade C in this Fall, then does that mean that I have no chances of getting in the dental school?

I heard that there is going to be an academic updating period on January 2006. I wonder if we should include the grades for the courses completed in Fall.

Kinski said:
C = 73-76%
A = 93-96% and so on...

It is strange how things change once you have been accepted....

Before...
Study, study, study.... Fight for A's

Now...
Relax, relax, relax.... Study for C's

SuperC said:
It is strange how things change once you have been accepted....

Before...
Study, study, study.... Fight for A's

Now...
Relax, relax, relax.... Study for C's

We all have to be careful next semester. That is all I have to say. At least we were saved by 3/4 of a hard earned semester this time around. ;)