Major burn out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Doctora

I'm a girl.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely burnt out. Junior year of college is over and summer is here finally, but I have a long list of stuff that needs to be done such as: doctor shadowing, mcat studying, etc. What have you done to bounce back from burn out? When I open a book to study anything science related, I can't concentrate, I'm fidgety, and I get up every five minutes and get distracted, etc. I study and read whatever it is I'm reading and I don't remember what I just read, my mind is elsewhere, and it's just a big waste of time. I really need to overcome this, just not sure what to do about it. What have you done to counteract this? Advice welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

I am extremely burnt out. Junior year of college is over and summer is here finally, but I have a long list of stuff that needs to be done such as: doctor shadowing, mcat studying, etc. What have you done to bounce back from burn out? When I open a book to study anything science related, I can't concentrate, I'm fidgety, and I get up every five minutes and get distracted, etc. I study and read whatever it is I'm reading and I don't remember what I just read, my mind is elsewhere, and it's just a big waste of time. I really need to overcome this, just not sure what to do about it. What have you done to counteract this? Advice welcomed.

Take a vacation somewhere, I'm not talking about the South of France for a month just something nice that you can relax at and enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, though I'm a freshman. I did consider taking some time off school but I think I'll save that for a later time if need be.

Definitely take at least one week off to do nothing... it will help help you gain some mental clarity.

I went fishin for a week up in Manitoba before studying for the MCAT to take for the second time. Improved my score by 3 points. My suggestion, think of something that relaxes you (fishing for me), and do it for a week or so. You'll feel great.

I definitely feel the same way. This semester included 4 science classes, 4 labs, and a crap load of hours at work. I soooooo just want to scream!!!! However, this is my last week of the semester and I'll have a two week break before summer classes start. To unwind, I bought a four wheeler this week and plan to use it quite a bit. I'm also going to go fishing- my books can't find me there! Hopefully my work schedule will calm down a little because I could use a break from all the hours. I'm sure everyone is in the same boat, and even just venting here has helped lol. :)

Some simple things I've found to be helpful:

1) Shadow/talk to a cool doctor in a specialty you find interesting to remind you of what you're working toward. It's easy to get caught up in all the work you have to do and forgetting your target.

2) Make a list of stuff to do. Add in some things that you can knock out quickly. For example, don't just put "study for MCAT". Put down something like "take practice MCAT exam" or "read biology review book". That way you can cross stuff off and not have big, overwhelming things hanging over you.

3) Spend time with your family/friends. This was the biggest help for me. A weekend at home with no books or obligations can be a huge booster.

4) Take some time off SDN. A lot of people on here are stressed out and others are super-applicants whose apps are hard to measure up to. Just be yourself.

Well I can tell you what works for me.

Step 1. Step away from SDN
Step 2. Remove yourself from all neurotics who are tweaking out over medical school
Step 3. Sex.

Sadly, this only works with acute onsets of burn out. For more chronic cases you'll need to do the following.

Step 1: Remove yourself from SDN, all gunner types, and tell your family to come up with different questions on the phone. "How is school/What are your grades like?" is just going to give you problems.

Step 2: Schedule time for yourself. Just you. Then actually give yourself that time on a daily or every other day basis. Whatever you can spare, even just an hour.

Step 3: Use that time to first recover yourself physically. It may be affecting you mentally if you haven't gotten enough sleep, eaten fruits and vegetables, or stretched your legs. Recover. Not with comfort food, not with beer, with good nutritious stuff. You're going to become strong again.

Step 4: Feeling a little better? Now take that scheduled time for yourself and pursue something new. Specifically something that exercises your mind in ways that it isn't getting in your science classes. For me that was strenuous physical activity or playing music, the only things that actually get my brain to SHUT UP. Exercise a new kind of intellect.

Vacations are nice if you can take them, but it doesn't change the environment that is burning you out. If you don't want to get burned out when you come back, you have to make your emotional well being a priority. Even over other people, even over being the perfect premed.

I have the same problem...but I'm only a sophomore. I can't focus, can't study well. All I do is sleep and stare at my work as the hours fly by. And my finals are next week...

I have the same problem...but I'm only a sophomore. I can't focus, can't study well. All I do is sleep and stare at my work as the hours fly by. And my finals are next week...

And get on SDN....:laugh:

I know how you feel. You can't do anything fun because you have to "study", then you don't actually study well. I've found the best thing to do is take breaks frequently, whether to do something active or just watch a tv show you like.