Major Change in Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvs42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a new member to this and I am having a low key existential crisis and I really would like some help! I am sorry for advance but if you have an answer in even one of these questions it would mean a lot!

Let me Start off with my current stats (I am a second semester Freshman) at a liberal arts school
1st semester GPA- 3.72 (A- in Chem and Calc, B in chem lab, A in english : pre med reqs I was taking)
How does A- look in pre med reqs, and would a B in Chem lab ( really stressed about this grade) hurt my chances of admission?

I pledged a pretty hard hazing sorority ( like an imbecile) and ended up depledging: I did get most of my grades up to A/A- at the expense from withdrawing from a history liberal arts requirement.
How bad would a W in a non required class impact my chances of med school?

I really was an idiot senior year of hs and even though I had a 33 and a on the ACT and a 93 average in HS I did not believe that I would get into any colleges and only applied to schools below my range as a psych major. I really do like psych but from what I hear being a psych major doesn't really give you that edge for med school applicants. I was kind of lied to by my school admissions about a potential neuroscience program (my true interest) but it doesn't turn out to actually exist. I love all sciences and would not mind switching to biology
Should I stick as a Psych Major/ Switch to Bio/ or transfer to a better school for neuroscience?

Thank you ahead of time! I am sorry for this really long post but I am so anxious and feel like I have already messed up my chances of med school because of my stupid insecurities.

Members don't see this ad.

Select a major you will enjoy. The only edge you get in a science major is that premed requirements are usually part of the major. Maintain a level trend or upward trend in grade and you should be ok in terms of GPA. The essential component will be your MCAT. Take it during the summer when you have lots of time to study for it.

I don't think you messed up your chances and even if you do or did, you are still a freshman and have time to succeed academically.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! First, breathe.
How does A- look in pre med reqs, and would a B in Chem lab ( really stressed about this grade) hurt my chances of admission?
Those are both fine, you're in your freshman year and there is still plenty of time to improve on the classes. A couple prereq classes aren't going to kill you as long as you make sure it doesn't become a trend for your entire transcript. Hell, I wish I had a 3.72 GPA my freshman year. How are your classes going this semester? Just learn from your mistakes and improve on your performance and you will be fine. An A- is *definitely* not going to kill you, and a B in a 1-credit chemistry lab (I'm assuming) is a tiny blip on your transcript of little significance. [I pulled a B on a prereq class and it was never a detriment to my application, fwiw]
How bad would a W in a non required class impact my chances of med school?
I don't think this would have a large impact on your chances, especially since it was a non-prerequisite class, but I'd defer to others opinions on the matter.
I really do like psych but from what I hear being a psych major doesn't really give you that edge for med school applicants.
No major gives you an edge for medical school admissions as long as you are able to complete the prerequisite requirements for admission and for adequate MCAT preparation. Take the program of study that you think you will enjoy and that you will do well in, all the matters is that you get good grades in your classes, not what major you decide upon.

All in all, you've still got slightly over 4 semesters left out of the 6 that will go on your transcript (if you apply between Junior/Senior year), plenty of time!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a C in Calculus and ended up getting in somewhere. Keep your GPA above a 3.6 and you should be fine.

Hi! First, breathe.

Those are both fine, you're in your freshman year and there is still plenty of time to improve on the classes. A couple prereq classes aren't going to kill you as long as you make sure it doesn't become a trend for your entire transcript. Hell, I wish I had a 3.72 GPA my freshman year. How are your classes going this semester? Just learn from your mistakes and improve on your performance and you will be fine. An A- is *definitely* not going to kill you, and a B in a 1-credit chemistry lab (I'm assuming) is a tiny blip on your transcript of little significance. [I pulled a B on a prereq class and it was never a detriment to my application, fwiw]

I don't think this would have a large impact on your chances, especially since it was a non-prerequisite class, but I'd defer to others opinions on the matter.

No major gives you an edge for medical school admissions as long as you are able to complete the prerequisite requirements for admission and for adequate MCAT preparation. Take the program of study that you think you will enjoy and that you will do well in, all the matters is that you get good grades in your classes, not what major you decide upon.

All in all, you've still got slightly over 4 semesters left out of the 6 that will go on your transcript (if you apply between Junior/Senior year), plenty of time!

Thank you! I honestly get into a bad paradox of overstressing because I am lacking perfection and then furthering away from said perfection. I believe my grades this semester should be all A/A- ( I am taking behavioral research methods/ Behavioral stats/ Chem 2 ( hopefully will stay at around an A-)/ and child development ). I just honestly messed up this first half of the semester by getting involved in a crazy sorority (not all are bad the one I did was just no for premed).

Reactions: 1 users
I believe my grades this semester should be all A/A-
Then you'll be alright, just keep up the good work and things will work out. My freshman year was by far my worst year academically and extracurricularly, so as long as you don't let it bog you down too much you'll be fine! Best of luck moving forward with your endeavors!

Those grades are fine don't even worry! A- is great, and a few B's here and there are totally fine too. Keep your cumulative sGPA up and you're okay.

a W in a non prereq class is also okay. Don't have more than 3 I would say. I myself have two, seriously it's not a big deal unless you're transcripts are littered with them.

Choose a degree you'll like :) people choose Bio typically because all of the pre-med reqs are part of obtaining the degree (whereas a different major like History for example would have to go out of their way in terms of course pathway to take the classes), including upper division biology courses. But seriously if you dont like biology THAT much dont major in bio! Major in what you would want an education in, so you can take courses that youre genuinely interested in.

Those grades are fine don't even worry! A- is great, and a few B's here and there are totally fine too. Keep your cumulative sGPA up and you're okay.

a W in a non prereq class is also okay. Don't have more than 3 I would say. I myself have two, seriously it's not a big deal unless you're transcripts are littered with them.

Choose a degree you'll like :) people choose Bio typically because all of the pre-med reqs are part of obtaining the degree (whereas a different major like History for example would have to go out of their way in terms of course pathway to take the classes), including upper division biology courses. But seriously if you dont like biology THAT much dont major in bio! Major in what you would want an education in, so you can take courses that youre genuinely interested in.
I love the biological aspects of psych the school I am at does not have neuroscience which was my original goal. I think I will stick with psych and take the more biological upper level courses, because if I transfer to the closest school in my area that offers neuroscience I would be at risk for losing my earned credits since it is private. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user