Major concern about graduation time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trumpee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to the forum here and I must say it has been a great experience just browsing around and reading threads about others’ situations that are unique from one another. However, I am in a unique situation which is causing me to doubt my chances of getting into med school. I am currently a Biology major/Chem minor finishing up my degree with a GPA of 3.7 for both cumulative and science. Here is my greatest concern. I am in my 7th year now (currently part-time). It took me 7 years to finish my degree. I think I have a good reason for the delay in graduation but I am not sure whether or not adcoms will take it.

I was an ESL student graduating high school, thus my first year of college as a pre-dental student (community college) I could not get any of my major sequence done except for a couple of calculus courses (the majority was spent on English supplemental courses and writing courses).

I then transferred to a state university on my 3rd year (after 2 years at a community college). This was when I decided to pursue a career in medicine instead of dentistry. Due to the lack of volunteering opportunities at my current school (it was located at a college town), I had to move back home to a local university in a major town (thus I did not actually start any of my ECs until my 4th year, which was when I first moved back to the local university). Since I transferred twice, most of my electives taken at the previous schools did not count and I basically had to start taking the required electives again alongside with finishing up my major and minor (along with some elective upper level courses such as Biochem and Pchem)

I could have finished the degree last year (6th), but during the spring term of last year, I messed up and did not get into the last O-chem lab course, thus I decided to stay as a part-time student this year (7th) to take the lab as well as some courses that I am interested in (not relating to my major or minor).

I apologize for the lengthy post.

Members don't see this ad.

They will not care how long it took you to finish college

Reactions: 1 users
In general, they really don't care as long as you are ready for the difficult coursework, and have proved that. Some schools like older, more mature applicants anyway. Just make sure you are ready to frame this in a positive light (what I did in these yeas allowed me to gain/learn X) rather than making excuses for it early on as if it was a bad thing.

You gotta sell yourself!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This would be a great thing to address in your personal statement - discuss how you grew from your experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
I took 7 years, full-time student all years. Did three years, took 2 off, came back and took 4 to graduate. Graduating with an enormous amount of credit. Never came up in interviews.

Reactions: 2 users