"major" crime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ytg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was pulled over not long ago by a policeman for riding my bicycle on the sidewalk. At the time I thought it was a big joke but found out later that it might not be. The policeman had given me a summons to appear at a criminal court and if convicted it's a misdemeanor on my records :eek: Does anyone have any idea if it could seriously affect my chances of getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

You have got to be kidding right? I think you need a major dose of some valium.

dreamcrusher said:
You have got to be kidding right? I think you need a major dose of some valium.
I just want to know if it's worth spending money on a lawyer

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta be kidding me! Yeah, if you should definitely appeal that nonsense. You might get a post-acceptance rejection once the school run a background check.

1. don't ride your bike on the sidewalk.
2. shouldn't this be a traffic violation? I'm no cop, but it seems it should be a traffic violation......
3. If it's muni court you got summoned to, get in touch with the city attorney and see if you can work out a deal. If it's county court, get in touch with the DA and work out a deal. If it's just you and the judge in muni court, you'll probably end up with a deferment or a lesser charge anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. That is, as long as it's your first offense. If you've been convicted 57 times in the past for riding your bike on the sidewalk, you're up a creek there.

ytg said:
I was pulled over not long ago by a policeman for riding my bicycle on the sidewalk. At the time I thought it was a big joke but found out later that it might not be. The policeman had given me a summons to appear at a criminal court and if convicted it's a misdemeanor on my records :eek: Does anyone have any idea if it could seriously affect my chances of getting into med school.

Most cops give a warning for that. Its a damn bicycle on a sidewalk. I'm surprised he didnt bust you for not wearing a helmet (if applicable). Take it to court, pay some attorney some petty cash to clear it up. It shouldn't be a big problem for you to get it thrown out or just fined.

I hate cops that go on power trips like that. What nerds.

We don't want any of you bicycle-riding-on-the-sidewalk hooligans in our profession. Out with you! Out, I say!

Chill the **** out.

Hey, I darn near got sued 'cuz some guy was on the sidewalk with his bike. I was stopped trying to come out of a parking lot and he actually ran into me. I got out, but he ran... and then showed up at the ER later. He tried to say I ran him over. Fortunately I hadn't washed my car yet and the imprint of his bike was clearly on the side of my vehicle and then across the hood of my car. Oh, did I mention I was 9 months pregnant at the time? So getting out of the car wasn't such an easy feat, and I certainly didn't need the stress of that idiot running into me.

Laugh about it if you want, but there *are* reasons for tickets. Again, to the OP, don't worry about it. Most likely get deferred.

i only ride on the sidewalk on very busy roads with no/poor shoulders, and when i do i am VERY careful and slow at intersections and around pedestrians. as shyrem's case shows, you are less visible to traffic at intersections. i think it's partly because at intersections driver's only expect fast-moving objects to be on the road and not the sidewalk, and so that's where they do their last-second look before turning or going forward. so in my view, you're actually safer on the road at intersections. a big lesson in traffic safety on a bike, which is counter-intuitive to many, is to be a very noticeable presence in traffic.

also, pedestrians don't expect cyclists to come up from behind them on the sidewalk. what if they make a sudden turn into you as you're coming up from behind? then you may both be in trouble.

sanford, I'm not sure how my case shows bicycles are less visible - I was stopped (and had been for a while) at the exit of a parking lot. It seems the bicyclist didn't see *me*.

Unfortunately, many cities don't make bicycle lanes, and many drivers are completely inconsiderate when it comes to any road courtesy at all. Now, I'm just as upset when an entire pack of bicycles overflows onto a regular auto 55mph lane (the bicyclists are going to get seriously hurt doing that someday), but when auto drivers don't ease over in their lane to make it a bit easier for the bicyclist, that's just rude. Cities really need to become more bicycle friendly. Bike paths, bike lanes on roads, etc. And, of course, bicyclists need to do their part, too - I can't even count the number of bicyclists that run red lights, turn in front of traffic, cross 4 lane roads in the middle of the block, etc. and get hurt that I've picked up on the ambulance.

ShyRem said:
sanford, I'm not sure how my case shows bicycles are less visible - I was stopped (and had been for a while) at the exit of a parking lot. It seems the bicyclist didn't see *me*.

Unfortunately, many cities don't make bicycle lanes, and many drivers are completely inconsiderate when it comes to any road courtesy at all. Now, I'm just as upset when an entire pack of bicycles overflows onto a regular auto 55mph lane (the bicyclists are going to get seriously hurt doing that someday), but when auto drivers don't ease over in their lane to make it a bit easier for the bicyclist, that's just rude. Cities really need to become more bicycle friendly. Bike paths, bike lanes on roads, etc. And, of course, bicyclists need to do their part, too - I can't even count the number of bicyclists that run red lights, turn in front of traffic, cross 4 lane roads in the middle of the block, etc. and get hurt that I've picked up on the ambulance.

that's true. my mistake. but i guess in theory what the cyclist on the sidewalk did to your car could have been done to another object had the cyclist been on the road. but maybe the cyclist was more likely to be zoned out on the sidewalk.

i hear you with the need for more bike-friendliness, and i think the situation has only gotten worse (for other drivers as well) with cell phones. and a good number of cyclists where i live can be too aggressive and risk-taking on the road. but even though i don't consider myself to be one of them, i KNOW it's just a matter of time before i get hit by a car due to the carelessness of a driver.

to get back to the topic a bit: while riding on the shoulder of a non-busy street, i actually had someone yell out there car "get on the sidewalk!" i don't think this city at least has done enough to educate drivers about cyclists' rights. but they also aren't known to give citations for riding on the sidewalk.

Yeah, I mean, if they find out after they offer you an acceptance that you've committed the grave sin of riding your bicycle on the sidewalk, which was clearly meant for pedestrians only, then you'll probably be rejected and condemned.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have just sang to the cop:

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride it where I like

You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite
You say shark I say hey man
Jaws was never my scene
And I don't like Star Wars
You say Rolls I say Royce
You say God give me a choice
You say Lord I say Christ
I don't believe in Peter Pan
Frankenstein or Superman
All I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my
Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties all year!
Fat bottomed girls
They'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go
Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race
Bicycle bicycle bicycle
Bicycle bicycle bicycle bicycle
Bicycle race

You say coke I say caine
You say John I say Wayne
Hot dog I say cool it man
I don't wanna be the President of America
You say smile I say cheese
Cartier I say please
Income tax I say Jesus
I don't wanna be a candidate for
Vietnam or Watergate
Cause all I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride it where I like

ShyRem said:

I would be more than happy to facilitate access to roads for bikers... as soon as they; adhere to all traffic laws, pay insurance, and have their bikes inspected once a year for they safety of themselves and others.

since when can you not ride your bike on the sidewalk? ppl do that all the time here.......but it's ohio so i guess that's ok

Hausdaddy24 said:
I would be more than happy to facilitate access to roads for bikers... as soon as they; adhere to all traffic laws, pay insurance, and have their bikes inspected once a year for they safety of themselves and others.

so are you saying that until "they" all somehow achieve these three points (which not all drivers have achieved, by the way) you will not go out of your way to avoid hitting them? how doctorly.

AHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA....that's a great story, and a terrible reason to get a ticket.

1) Isn't this what I did as a kid every single day?

2) Driving to work during the summer on a 2-lane....i guess technically it's called a 4-lane road (2 in each direction), and bikes being in the right lane....guess what, rush hour traffic wanting to go 30-40 does not mix well w/ bikes going 15....i think that's more dangerous than riding a bike on a sidewalk...which i don't really know where the danger is...don't you people stop at intersections and look for cars when you ride a bike on the sidewalk?

3) Yesterday while walking to work I saw a guy blow through a stop sign on a bike on the road....how is that right? That's why I don't respect bikes on the road unless there is an actual bike lane and the bikes follow road rules.

4) Why am i so annoyed about this? b/c those bikes on my drive to work were always there and sometimes it's not possible to switch lanes and i get stuck behind a bike and the lane next to me won't move over so i can pass...nope, i have to go 15 mph to work when i'm probably already late...oh, and this is one of those roads w/ no shoulder

5) Bicycles have two wheels...cars have four...why aren't cars called quadrycles? i guess b/c there are already quads, but cars must have come first.

6) If i had gotten that ticket, i'd be so confused since I didn't know bikes can't be on sidewalks...seriously has this always been liket his? is there an age minimum or are 10 year olds supposed to be on the street too. what a dumb law. i can agree w/ allowing bikes to be on both, but not to disallow them from sidewalks...especially if you are just going slow....maybe you were "speeding"...huh, lance?

7) I hope no one actually read all of this, i don't think i'd even re-read it!

i've paid over 400 dollars in biking tickets this year. my bike cost me 60 dollars. i hate cops. hate. pure hate.
-mota

DaMota said:
i've paid over 400 dollars in biking tickets this year. my bike cost me 60 dollars. i hate cops. hate. pure hate.
-mota

all for sidewalk riding? that's ridiculous no matter what you say...unless you used your bike to break into a store....i guess that would make sense

I moved from small town Illinois to small town New Hampshire to go to college. I rode my bike around campus-yes, on the sidewalk even!!!-for a year and a half before being stopped by a policeman on foot for riding my bike on the sidewalk. He blew his whistle at me so I stopped and looked at him like he was crazy. I probably said something surly like "WHAT?!?!" He said to me "Are you 12?" This further confounded me. I was obviously 19, not 12. "No, I'm not 12," said I, brilliantly. "Then you can't ride your bike on the sidewalk," said he. I am quite sure that I almost laughed out loud. I was CERTAIN that he was playing with me. However, our college town police officers were known for arresting people for all kinds of crazy stuff so I looked closely at him before laughing. Good choice. He wasn't kidding. I guess I looked shocked enough that he let me bike away without any more trouble. But I biked in the street when I crossed the border from campus to town. The campus police let us ride our bikes where we liked.
I totally can't believe you got a ticket for this baloney. I don't even think I'd worry about a lawyer fee. If a med school asks about it, you should say you got a ticket for riding your bike on the sidewalk. It will probably make everyone laugh. If they don't laugh about it, you probably don't want to go there.

what makes this subject tough for a national discussion is that we live in locations ranging from big cities to suburbs to rural areas.

when i think of a big city, in which lots of people walk on the sidewalks and there are stop signs or traffic lights at almost every intersection to slow down traffic, then riding a bicycle on a sidewalk can indeed be irresponsible and dangerous to pedestrians, and dangerous to the cyclist when they cross intersections and cars didn't notice them because they weren't on the road.

when i think of the suburbs or rural areas (where they have sidewalks), i think of pretty desolate sidewalks and long stretches of road with long distances between traffic lights. in that sort of environment, i agree that it's most often safer for everyone for the cyclist to be on the sidewalk instead of in high-flow traffic. cops who ticket in that sort of environment are being ridiculous.

sanford_w/o_son said:
so are you saying that until "they" all somehow achieve these three points (which not all drivers have achieved, by the way) you will not go out of your way to avoid hitting them? how doctorly.

I never said that I wouldn't go out of my way to hit a biker, I just think that if they are going to use the roads they should be held to the same standards as drivers. A pretty large portion of the people that attend my university use a bike as their main mode of transportation and it seems to me that most of them feel that drivers should yield to them as they cut across 4 lanes of a busy highway. It's just not safe for bikers or drivers.

ytg said:

You should have bribed the cop with doughnuts. What an as****le!!!Misdemeanor for riding a bike.
Since you're dealing with med school admisions here, pay a lawyer to make sure that you will get off. If the cop charged you with that, I wouldn't be surprised that he will show up in court to argue, so you need a lawyer.

Hi there,
As a long time biker, I can tell you that it is illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk unless there is a sign posted stating that the bike path is on the sidewalk or you are in a city where this is permitted by law. You can be ticketed and fined. It does not matter how busy the street, you are a moving vehicle and belong in the street with the rest of the moving vehicles. Your lane is the outer 1/3rd of the right lane.

Some cities DO permit bicycles on the sidewalk routinely but you have to check the laws. This is an exception and not a rule. I rode all over DC in the worst rush-hour traffice (used to be a bike messenger) and always had an advantage riding in the street. I could grab the back of one of the Metro buses and get an assist going up Capitol Hill. ;)

njbmd :)