Major developments in radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fireboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Naw just gotta up the juice baby.....and maybe port old subway tunnels to mri's or something....

I was expecting to see an article about the Toshiba 256 slice CT with real time cardiac imaging, or even the clinical application of the 21 Tesla MR.

Instead.....we get an article on obesity...... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuronix said:
Clinical application of the 21T MR? There's a large bore 21T out there?

Yup. I saw some of it being developed at a Siemens plant near Hamburg a few years ago.......the guy had a smug little grin about it.

There's a 21-T "narrow" bore imaging magnet at NHMFL in Tallahassee that just came online last year. I've used it.

No such thing as a human 21-T magnet, many reasons why. I suspect improvements in coil technology and acquisition schemes will make such high fields unnecessary for most human applications we can currently imagine.

bosky said:
No such thing as a human 21-T magnet, many reasons why.

Agreed. That's what I suspected. I found an article mentioning a 21T narrow bore being developed by Siemens, but nothing about a large bore online. Even the 7T and 9.4T human magnets are very difficult to use these days.

[Personal bias]That being said, I can certainly imagine a few things that would benefit from very high field. In vivo imaging of fairly insensitive nucleii with good spatial and temporal resolution would be one of them. The lower gyromagnetic ratios would put the frequencies of nucleii like 17O or 13C into a reasonable place for coil design.[/Personal bias]

O17 definitely can become interesting at high fields.

High field C13 may be overkill given hyperpolarizing technology - I sat next to that guy at the 2004 Gordon Conference for lunch one day and thought he was just some random old engineer deud until I saw that presentation!

Of course high filed opens even more possibilities for everything as you say - we can't imagine what someone will come up with or ask in the next 5-10 years.

Cool stuff! Great field we are going into...

obviously I don't remember key words very well..sorry.lol I know it was something bling bling from siemens and my dad's eyes bugged out of his skull a bit. :p