Major dilemma.. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabenelson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a dilemma regarding 2 programs and I could really use some help.

My background: I am a US citizen IMG interviewing for pediatrics. After interviewing my list had finally narrowed down to 2 programs and I was going to submit them as no 1 and 2 in my ROL.
The first program is a very good community program and the reason why it is my first choice is because it is where I live and therefore would allow me to stay close to family.
My second choice is a decent university program in a city that I'm not too gaga about living in. I just got a call from this program offering me an out of match position and giving me 2 days to make a decision.

I know the sensible decision would be to take up the offer since my first choice program does not offer pre matches and I have really not got any positive indication from them. However, ever since I interviewed at that program it has been my dream to go there and I can't seem to come to terms with the fact that I won't even be giving it a shot if I take up the offer from the second program. My family has always wanted me to take up the program close to home and is almost sad about my other offer so I guess that's another factor that is making this hard for me . ( I sound like Lucy from Scrubs!):(

I've been quite miserable, running through the pros and cons of this decision through my head and it's driving me crazy. I'm almost wishing I had not received this offer since I could have just ranked it number 2 in my ROL and tried my chances with the first one. (I know.. I know... I'm being so ungrateful)

Any input or ideas from anyone? I would really appreciate some help!:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

it all depends on the number of interviews you have , if you have enough interviews that you are comfortable with almost a guarantee match then I would pass it up.
but if it is a university program and you dont have enough solid interview, i would jump the ship and just take a prematch, it is competitive this year and you should rather have a gurantee then take your chances on match
btw no communication from a program does not indicate they are NOT interested in you.
and there is always a controversial choice of calling up your community program and tell them straight up I am really interested in the program but i also have a prematch, what should I do, it might work to ease your fears and they might tell u something good or it could backfire , its a tough call either ways
all the best

Thanks for the quick response.
I interviewed at ten programs. I feel that I will most likely match to one of them but I will not be very happy with 7 out of those ten programs. ( average and below average programs) So, I guess the smartest thing would be to take up the offer. If only I felt good about it!

I would do what doc suggested. First, ask program #2 if you can have an extra day or two to decide (since it's the weekend). Then, contact program #1, tell them the situation, tell them they're your first choice for reasons X, Y, and Z, and ask if they can give you a sense of how competitive you are. Maybe that last part is illegal, I don't know...but I think given your situation they'd probably like to know if they really do want you.

If they don't give you a sense of how competitive you are, then at least you have all the info you need to make a decision. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but if you took the pre-match, would you be unhappy? Would you always be left wondering "what if?" And, if you don't take the pre-match, would program #2 feel slighted and not rank you highly?

It's a tough decision. I would start where I suggested and go from there. Best of luck!

first of congradulations on the prematch offer, that's great news especially because it's your number two choice. many people would say that the offer and run. this is your number two choice and seems like a strong program. I would ask for at least another day extra and they should give it to you because this is a tough decision. then call your #1 program or email the program coordinator and tell her your dilemma. depending on how they reply you'll know what to do. if they take too long to reply you should just take the prematch. Also you have to consider the fact that if you don't take the prematch there's a pretty good chance that you will not match into your #2 program if you go through the match. so you have to ask yourself would you be really disappointed if you matched at your number 4 or 5 and not at your #2. for many people the difference between #1 and #2 isn't that huge so when they get a prematch offer from their top 2 or top3 programs they usually take it. I probably would take it too. it's not like this program is your #6 or 8 it's your #2 and it seems that the only reason that your #1 is your #1 is because it's so close to your home. also peds residency is only 3 years and your wife can move with you and if you mean your parents when you say your family then well you can talk to them on the phone or see them when you have vacation. you survived living on the island with out them what's another 3 years to achieve your dream and get a great education and possibly a better chance at a fellowship than from a community program.

You guys are right. I have written to my #1 program and will ask the program for a couple of more days to think about my decision. I don't mean to get all emotional but by family I meant my mother who lives alone. That's why I can't seem to feel happy about taking the prematch even though I know that it is the right thing to do. I also know that I might not match to #1 even if I do take part in the match and might match to 3,4 or 5. Aaaahhh!!!!!

I think you try what others have suggested i.e to bargain with your # 1 choice program. Programs do all the time like telling you how competitive are you? If it does not work then take pre-match from your # 2 choice. You can always look for PGY-2 position in the city where your family lives.

By the way internship is quite busy time any way so it probably would not matter much for most people.

Yup. I'll call the program on Monday if I don't get an email response from them.

Would you be surprised, by the end allocated time, when you will call program to tell them you will accept pre-match their offer is already gone.

Most programs tell you think it over 3 days for pre-match but in reality they will take first among their top candidates who will accept their offer. This usually happens with a program who fill their position primarily with pre-match only. Moral of the story is you have to move fast. Any way I will be interested to hear how did it play out?