Major/Double Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently pondering about my major in addition to pre-med. I know I'm getting a minor in Chemistry, that's a given. However, I'm wondering whether to:

Major in Neural Science: tough major, lots of requirements. Might hurt my GPA in certain classes. I MIGHT go for Honors if I major in Neural Science. Honors is extra classes along with requried research and a mandatory thesis senior year. Also majoring in Neural Science gives me access to science professors for recommendations and such.

Major in Psychology: easier major. will keep my GPA very high. If I major in Psychology I'm definitely doing honors. Research also available via honors.

Double Major in Psychology and Neural Science: Hectic courses, taking 18/19 credits (both semesters junior year due to 5 credit physics). Definitely will not do honors for either one if I double major. However I feel as if the psychology courses will definitely help my GPA if neural science brings it down.

All this is in addition to my minor in chemistry, what do you guys think? Each option I guess has its ups and downs... What would be best for medical schools? And on my mock schedule in MCAT anticipation, although Spring 2012 is 19 credits, other than Physics II, the rest are psychology electives which are relatively easy (not meaning to bag on anything, but on our schools course review I purposely grouped them this way!)

Thanks in advance, I attend NYU if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

if psychology is easy for you.. take psychology alone and complete your pre-med curriculum if chem major is easy do that too..
1 major with a higher gpa >>> hard course load with lower gpa

however.. do know that psychology isn't that easy..
there are people who don't even understand how to even contemplate half of psychology's theories and concepts, but at the same-time those people go on to be mathematics majors and other things they consider easier for them

so yah.. major in w.e you think is easier for you and allows you to have a easier junior year i.e more mcat prep time..

my plan,
major in either psychology or history and take a bunch of upper level biology classes and easier math courses like algebra..

i agree with serenade.

However, the question is whether you are honestly interested in neuro. If so, I would just do the double major to learn. If not, why be miserable doing something your not into and on top of that do poorly in? How bad do you think neuro will effect your gpa?

Just remember, the reality of it is that high gpa is more important than honors or extra major for admissions.

josh