Major GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the AMCAS take into consideration the Major GPA? And if so, how does this work? Does this include all classes that begin with the course letters corresponding to your major? I am Chem E, but I have taken other engineering classes from other engineering departments, so will these be taken into account in the major GPA as well?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing like a "major" GPA as far as the AMCAS is concerned. There's your overall GPA which is the total of all your classes regardless of department, and the BCPM which is your GPA if you remove everything that's not math, bio, physics, or chem. Engineering is in that grey area on whether it can be counted in the BCPM. I ran my engineering classes past my pre-med advisor and he told me which ones were sciencey enough to count in the BCPM; plus any engineering class that I didn't do well in automatically didn't get added to the BCPM since I could always say that it's not technically science :) Other than that, there are no seperately calculated GPAs on the AMCAS. Individual schools could calculate seperate calculate major GPA's or something if they were so inclined, but I don't know off hand if any schools actually do that.

there's also a "non-BCPM" GPA, which is all the classes that aren't counted under BCPM.