Major Issues Facing Veterinary Medicine Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was reviewing the interview feedback for OSU and I found a question that i dont know the answer to:

why is the Avian flu more prevalent in Asia that the US?

I think it has to do with the access to medical attention and the living environment. There are a lot of small rural towns/villages where the people are living in very close proximity to chickens, duck, and other wild fowl...especially the migratory fowl that are suspected of spreading the disease.

any more input? I really like this thread its really helping me prepare for my interviews. THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK GUYS!!:love:
I think you are pretty much on the money about this one, Haley. I'd just like to add another thing: Many of the people living in those small rural towns have small farms where they raise chickens and ducks for eggs, meat, or a small profit. There is a much higher number of people who have these animals just to put breakfast on their own table versus for the US, and many of these people are uneducated or so isolated that there are no regulations at their small farms in terms of biosecurity, vaccination protocols, etc. One thing I read about was that it's actually a huge problem with the larger Chinese production facilities having avian influenza outbreaks! (recently in the news) and I believe that this is also due to the fact that many corporations may skip out on getting proper care for their animals in order to make a large profit, since the economy of some countries like China is a little unstable (recalls happen all the time, etc.). So, basically I think it's a combo of the rural problems that you mentioned, Haley, and also the lack of regulation (or enforcing of regulations!) at large production facilities.

Members don't see this ad.

I was reviewing the interview feedback for OSU and I found a question that i dont know the answer to:

I think it has to do with the access to medical attention and the living environment. There are a lot of small rural towns/villages where the people are living in very close proximity to chickens, duck, and other wild fowl...especially the migratory fowl that are suspected of spreading the disease.

any more input? I really like this thread its really helping me prepare for my interviews. THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK GUYS!!:love:

I apologize in advance if this gets long. I'm an Avian Biology major--I love talking about the chicken. :hungover:

1. First, I'll explain the microbiology behind Avian Influenza. Be sure to point out in your interview that H5N1 (and some H7 strains) is the zoonotic form of the virus; all other forms are a threat to modern poultry rearing, but not to humans. H5N1 refers to the two types of proteins on the envelope of the virus that our immune system recognizes and uses to mount its defensive attack against the virus. Most waterfowl and other wildlife harbor some form of avian influenza virus, but not a pathogenic form. How does the virus mutate from a non-pathogenic/non-zoonotic form (say, H1N2) to the infamous H5N1? It's not easy. The only sure way they've found so far is this: a vector species--the pig--must be concomitantly infected with a human strain of influenza as well as an avian strain of influenza. (The pig is the vector because it's one of the few species that can be infected with both avian and human viruses.) The two viruses exchange DNA for their surface proteins inside the pig's cell and BAM!--H5N1. Then the pig sneezes on its human caretaker and he ends up in the biohazard ward at the local hospital. Now, given the large variety of surface proteins, the size of each virus's genome, and the liklihood of the pig being infected with both human and avian influenza simultaneously, it's no wonder it makes the news when a human is infected with H5N1.

2. If they ask you this question in your interview, it'll help to emphasize the differences in poultry production in the US vs. Asia. You're absolutely right--in Asia, people are living in very proximity with animals. In addition, they're rearing pigs and chickens in very close proximity with each other. I'm not sure about this, but I imagine they would also be close to ducks asl well, which--as you recall--are great carriers for non-zoonotic avian influenza (like H1N2 or something). This creates the perfect storm for the situation described in part one. In contrast, American chickens are reared in enclosed houses with no exposure to waterfowl or wild birds, and would certainly never be around a pig. While there is the possibility of infecting a flock of poultry by trudging through waterfowl feces on your way to the chicken house, good biosecurity requires that you change your shoes, your clothes, and maybe even shower before you enter a new flock's house. They don't take this kind of precaution in Asia.

3. Additional Information:
--Two types of AI exist in poultry medicine: low-pathogenic (LPAI) and high-pathogenic (HPAI; only H5's and H7's). The USDA prohibits the use of H5 and H7 vaccines in poultry. This doesn't really matter because if a chicken is infected with HPAI, it will die within 10-15 days. Although LPAI isn't necessarily fatal, it and HPAI are both reportable--you have to tell the government if you think your flock has AI.
--The cat has been recently recognized as a potential vector for the spread of AI, but this mode of transmission has not yet been confirmed.
--It is important to note that humans have been infected through direct contact with live, infected birds--not thought handling, cooking, or eating poultry meat. This mode of transmission has also not yet been confirmed.

I know that's a lot of information, but just remember: H5N1, pigs, and biosecurity.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your interviews!

BTW, where did you find your interview questions? I haven't been selected for an interview yet, but I'm hoping...!

-xtina

I read a really good blog with info on stuff like this!

The link is here if you want to check it out: http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/

Check out the sidebar. She has a whole series of posts on zoonotic diseases.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/ that's a good site for everything you might want to know about H5N1 (if there is even anything you still want to know beyond turkeytalk's post! :laugh: )

As one addition to that post, the pig can spread the virus back to a bird as well as to a human as well, and then the bird can infect the human, so it isn't only the pig that can contribute to human infection. And I'm not entirely sure that the genetic reassortment leading to the antigenic shift couldn't happen in a human host, either...

If you get really board, do a search for Zoonotic cases of MRSA.

This is so great, thanks for all the feedback guys!!

I found the interview questions on the Interview feedback link at the top of every SDN page, went to DVM, looked up OSU and read some of the old interview questions.

And to answer your question turkeytalk, I'm not sure, but I think i found this question from one of the interviews in March or February 2008. I really think those are helpful because so far I've only had behavioral questions and none that really tested my knowledge of veterinary medicine/pathology/microbiology...so im getting a little worried :scared:

Good luck!

Thanks, halesvet. I'll check those out.

I had a friend who interviewed at Virgina-Maryland last year. She had an interest in large animal and equine medicine, and they asked her questions about health problems in those animals... so all this preparation might actually be worth it!

Just to add one thing that hasn't been said: it's good to read about what the AVMA thinks are important "current issues in veterinary medicine. It lets your interviewers know you are an informed and aware person.

But I think it's much more important to connect with at least one of these issues personally. Your knowledge and enthusiasm will come across very positively to your interviewers. They will like you and they will remember you.

whats a good site to learn just about everything regards to vet medicine? I frequently read up on DVM360.com....list great articles and such.

**Veterinary reporting on animal abuse cases
- You'll learn that an overwhelming majority of veterinarians will actively distance themselves from reporting abuse cases even though many states protect their breaking confidentiality to make a "good faith" report and even though the public believe that above all else veterinarians are going to be actively looking out for the well being of animals

:)

Someone else told me the same thing - why is this? Does a veterinarian risk losing clients by being known as a "snitch"? Can they lose their license or get into any kind of trouble for turning in a case that appears to be abuse?

Someone else told me the same thing - why is this? Does a veterinarian risk losing clients by being known as a "snitch"? Can they lose their license or get into any kind of trouble for turning in a case that appears to be abuse?

Usually the clients you are reporting are the ones you arn't really making any money off of anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
I prepared a document for myself to remember some current vet med issues. Some of it is repetitive of what you guys have said but it works as a good summary..

Currnet Veterinary Issues
1) Unwanted horses due to the economy à slaughterhouses in Mexico and Canada
New legislation barring this shipment will cause another issue if it passes—horses will have to be neglected…
All U.S. horses go to only those processing plants in Mexico that are regulated by the federal inspections—they are euthanizing horses humanely.
What can vets do?
-teach the public, horse clubs, horse owners about these facts and encourage them for owning horses responsibly
-encouraging them to buy rather than to breed, adopt rather than buy
-supporting rescue, adoption, research, teaching programs
- finding alternative careers for horses
- euthanizing rather than discarding

2) Zoonotic diseases – diseases that can transfer from animals to humans
Ex:
-Avian Influenza:
---H5N1-2 types of proteins on the envelope of the virus
---pigs’ are the vector bc they can be infected by both avian and human viruses
---In Asia, pigs&chickens in close proximity

-Mad cow (BSE):
---is a fatal, neurodegenerative disease in cattle
--- degeneration in the brain and spinal cord and also causes red eyes.
---BSE has a long incubation period, about 4 years
---In humans, it is known as new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD or nvCJD)
---It is believed that the epidemic was caused by cattle being fed the remains of other cattle in the form of meat and bone meal (MBM)
--- The infectious agent can survive high temperatures because it is a prion -- Prions are a type of protein synthesized in brain and they exist as soluble and harmless molecules. The prion can be triggered by an unknown change to misfold which changes the structure of the protein making it insoluble and protease-resistant. Therefore, the proteases synthesized in the body cannot destroy them anymore.

3) Resisting parasites – esp in equine medicine, parasites are getting resistance to deworming meds… a solution is rotation of dewormers.

4) In the wake of 9/11, are the veterinarians ready for a possible bioterrorism? What are some solutions?
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:GVzDFg4sFqkJ:www.vetscite.org/publish/items/001040/index.html+veterinary+in+9/11&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

On the note of antibiotic resistance, MRSA in humans is being linked to confined animal feeding operations (ie feed loaded with antibiotics).

Also, what are peoples thoughts on ownership vs guardianship? I researched this topic, and I found that animal rights activists are pushing for federal, state, and local laws that use the term guardian rather than owner. However, a lot of people are against this because changing the name changes the legal implications. I read that if we are seen as guardians, then the state, not the guardian, has power to say who will care for the animal and how it will be cared for.

Is this the basis of the argument, or am I missing the point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that is the heart of the matter of guardian vs. ownership. I think there are several states who are adopting this policy in accordance with euthanasia; meaning that one would have to apply for the procedure and the animal evaluated to make sure it is not being used carelessly (California I think). Another state wants to put a fifteen day waiting period on your decision to make sure it is well thought out. It is definitely a sticky matter.

Hey everyone! I just had my first interview and they definitely asked me this question! Fortunately because of this thread and doing my own research I was well prepared! Thanks a lot everyone!

PS- I mentioned lack of large animal vets and zoonoses. They were very happy with these answers. Also know why they are issues! Be prepared to discuss them.

Just want to bump this thread for those of us interviewing for the C/O 2017!! Any ideas?

Wait a minute I was reading the replies from 2008...isn't vet med saturated now? What's with all the lack of vet posts?

I second bumping this thread to get new ideas. Some of the issues today may be the same as they were a few years ago, but what are some new major issues?

Two things I keep hearing about in various places -

1. Public health (also sometimes called "one health") - interdependencies between MD/DVM/PhD fields of expertise
2. The economic crisis - seeing higher #s of ethical dilemmas with people not being able to afford veterinary care or even afford their pets at all ... ties into other issues such as horse slaughter too

Yeah, strangely I was talking about the interconnectedness of the disciplines in my interview at one school and they asked me if I knew the term for that and I said "One Health?" and they were like "No, One Medicine..."

Might want to know which term each school uses if you plan to talk about it in interview, because it varies from school to school. Who knew.

So, horse slaughter...

Am I going crazy or did I think that they reopened horse slaughter in the US? Researching now...but last time I did a presentation on it, it was still banned in the US.

Pretty sure still banned. We had a big brouhaha this summer in CO over a guy who was buying tons of mustangs from I think the BLM and likely shipping them to Mexico for slaughter. It was all over the news on NPR.

IIRC, the ban has been lifted but the slaughterhouses are still closed because the USDA doesn't have inspectors for them or something like that.

IIRC, the ban has been lifted but the slaughterhouses are still closed because the USDA doesn't have inspectors for them or something like that.

I was just looking into this as well. It's hard to find info, but yes, the ban has been lifted but each state still has the power to ban it. I think Washington was the latest to have a bill about it. No meat horse slaughter plants are in operation in the US currently due to the inspection issue. But I haven't found info on other use slaughter.

Yeah I thought it was something having to do with Congress lifting the ban and having regulations for USDA inspections, but at the same time not appropriating funding for inspectors.

I was studying Equine Science at my undergrad at the time of the ban being lifted and the whole program exploded about the controversy. Interesting that PETA supposedly backs it though.

I was studying Equine Science at my undergrad at the time of the ban being lifted and the whole program exploded about the controversy. Interesting that PETA supposedly backs it though.

Eh, more humane to slaughter them here in inspected, regulated facilities than shipping them hundreds if not thousands of miles to Mexico.

Eh, more humane to slaughter them here in inspected, regulated facilities than shipping them hundreds if not thousands of miles to Mexico.

Oh, I am totally with you there. :) I just couldn't believe how many that were studying Equine Science were seeing it as murdering their favorite horse in the barn. But, there's only so much explaining you can do for people.

Agreed . Within the past year we had 2 wrecks on the interstate full of horses headed to Mexico to be slaughtered.. Many we're killed and/or severely injured before the ended up being euthanized at the site of the wreck. Very very sad.

Wait a minute I was reading the replies from 2008...isn't vet med saturated now? What's with all the lack of vet posts?

But isn't there still a shortage of food animal vets? I know there are some mixed opinions but I thought this was still a large problem...

But isn't there still a shortage of food animal vets? I know there are some mixed opinions but I thought this was still a large problem...

NO NO and NO. Even the association of Bovine Practitioners came up with a report saying NOOOOOOOO. The prob with podunk areas that don't have access to vet care is that the area cannot afford to sustain the salary (and associated costs) of a veterinarian.

The only shortage is in food animal vets who don't care to be paid. If you say you can work for free or super cheap for the rest of your life just to serve these "underserved" areas, you will be a hero. But otherwise, no.

Times are actually pretty difficult for a lot of food animal vets, because esp with the economy the way it is, many farmers and laymen are performing things that they used to pay vets to do.

There used to be big talk of the whole loan forgiveness program for people who were going to devote themselves to rural "shortage" areas, but within the last couple of years I guess some of the graduates of that program were in a bind because there wasn't even a job for them to take in these shortage areas... and I honestly have not heard about that program since. Not sure what happened to it. It used to be like this big "solution for all" type thing that was going to help out communities and reduce student debt.

Last edited:

Ohhhh boy. It's not easy for me to post links on my phone, but there has been a great amount of discussion on how misleading the "shortage" is. I would recommend a search. But essentially, the "shortages" are in areas that do not have the financial means to support a veterinary business and therefore are without one.

Ohhhh boy. It's not easy for me to post links on my phone, but there has been a great amount of discussion on how misleading the "shortage" is. I would recommend a search. But essentially, the "shortages" are in areas that do not have the financial means to support a veterinary business and therefore are without one.

Yeah, that's what I have been reading about. I think the larger issue is definitely funds for areas that can't afford them... The animals still need veterinary care despite the economy. Perhaps my comment would have been better stated as a shortage of vets in certain areas... but still, you guys are right that it isn't so much a shortage of vets as it is a shortage of funds

There used to be big talk of the whole loan forgiveness program for people who were going to devote themselves to rural "shortage" areas, but within the last couple of years I guess some of the graduates of that program were in a bind because there wasn't even a job for them to take in these shortage areas... and I honestly have not heard about that program since. Not sure what happened to it. It used to be like this big "solution for all" type thing that was going to help out communities and reduce student debt.

Well regardless of whether or not there is a "real" shortage of vets in some areas of the country and types of veterinary practice, the USDA's Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program (VMLRP) is still going strong and funded by the government for at least a few more years. If you can find a way to get the right type of job in the right area of the country, this program is a great way to pay off those pesky vet school loans.

Ive heard its because chickens live in such close proximity to hogs and hogs are a perfect vector to transform the virus from an avian variety to a human one. So you're on track with that answer.

Pretty sure still banned. We had a big brouhaha this summer in CO over a guy who was buying tons of mustangs from I think the BLM and likely shipping them to Mexico for slaughter. It was all over the news on NPR.

It is illegal to slaughter mustangs. When I adopted mine I had to sign something that said I would not sell them to slaughter or intentionally harm them. The government actually still owns the mustangs for a year after you adopt them and periodically check on them until that year is up; then, you must apply to own them and have a vet check them to make sure they aren't being abused or neglected.

I just heard something on NPR today about certain frozen food companies selling "beef" products (such as lasagna) that were as much as 60-100% horse meat (!!!). If I find any corroborating articles, I will be sure to share...

Ive heard its because chickens live in such close proximity to hogs and hogs are a perfect vector to transform the virus from an avian variety to a human one. So you're on track with that answer.

Also google "live bird markets." Very common in Asia... and Philadelphia.

As far as more issues...

Overpopulation of pet animals
Non-profit versus for-profit clinics (serious can of worms)
Trap-neuter-return programs
Feral cats and toxoplasmosis
AVMA CoE being suspended
Student debt/student stress/limited licensure/future of vet curriculum
Antibiotic use and recent legal changes
Breed-specific legislation (see the Lennox case and Maryland situation)
Horse racing/doping/ethics
Microchipping/confidentiality/ownership laws

Last edited:
What about Kill vs No Kill shelters? Do vet schools care about that? I've been reading up on them and there seem to be some problems (not with all of them of course).

What about Kill vs No Kill shelters? Do vet schools care about that? I've been reading up on them and there seem to be some problems (not with all of them of course).

What do you mean? Like do vet schools care that they exist?

What do you mean? Like do vet schools care that they exist?

Do they care what we think about them, I guess? Like they ask what we think about other topics.

Or do they have an opinion whether they're good or not?

Do they care what we think about them, I guess? Like they ask what we think about other topics.

Or do they have an opinion whether they're good or not?

As long as you know why you have formed an opinion about them, I don't think they really care what your opinion is. When they ask about controversial topics, I think their real goal is to see that you can be a well informed person no matter which side you fall on.

As long as you know why you have formed an opinion about them, I don't think they really care what your opinion is. When they ask about controversial topics, I think their real goal is to see that you can be a well informed person no matter which side you fall on.

this.

Oh, and I got asked about topics I was completely ignorant of, but showed I was not stupid enough to act like I knew more than I did, and also acknowledged graciously the other side of the subject when it was presented me.

So it is not like you need to be an expert on these issues. You need to be thoughtful, open-minded, and honest. That gets you a long way.

My advice is "Don't try to "win" the argument."

this.

Oh, and I got asked about topics I was completely ignorant of, but showed I was not stupid enough to act like I knew more than I did, and also acknowledged graciously the other side of the subject when it was presented me.

So it is not like you need to be an expert on these issues. You need to be thoughtful, open-minded, and honest. That gets you a long way.

My advice is "Don't try to "win" the argument."

How exactly did you handle the questions you were ignorant of? This is my biggest fear in my interview. I'm afraid I'll be somehow ignorant of ALL topics I'm questioned on.

Agreed . Within the past year we had 2 wrecks on the interstate full of horses headed to Mexico to be slaughtered.. Many we're killed and/or severely injured before the ended up being euthanized at the site of the wreck. Very very sad.

We spent a lecture debating this topic. I think that's one of the reason why PETA backs re-opening of horse slaughter in the US; it slaps some regulations on horse export for slaughter anyway, prevents accidents like that, and if it works well enough can regulate the fate of retired athletes as well.

How exactly did you handle the questions you were ignorant of? This is my biggest fear in my interview. I'm afraid I'll be somehow ignorant of ALL topics I'm questioned on.

Be honest. Veterinary medicine is one of those fields that's just too damn big to know everything about everything (why do you think there are so many specialties to go into? ;) ). If you're a small animal person and they ask you about food animal, tell them you're not familiar enough with the field to give a half-decent answer. There's nothing wrong with that, imho.

I talked about zoonotic diseases in my interview ... he asked for an example and I threw out Leptospirosis...which happens to be the #1 zoonotic disease..score?

I stated up front, I didn't know about the issue.

In one case the interviewers gave me some details and I then gave my opinion, and in the other I speculated what might be true after explaining I was pretty much ignorant.

Saying you don't know is one of the most important things to learn in life.

People do not disrespect someone who admits they don't know everything, but they do disrespect BS, which is easy to spot.

This is something I learned early in interviews, and in oral exams (especially in aviation).

@thesonofdarwin I'm a vegan and I was wondering what you meant in terms of your "controversial" stance on animal rights since I'm having a similar dilemma. So far I've been avoiding the subject of veganism in many of my supplemental essays. How have you approached the issue? I want to be a large animal/food animal vet.