Major Switch of Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

General Biology, BioChem, or Biology with concentration.

• Total voters

TheDurhaminator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions for all of you SDN forum members. I am currently enrolled at Fairleigh Dickinson University as an Electrical Engineering Major and have had a strong desire to switch my major to pursue medical school. I have almost completely decided that I do want to switch my major, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. But I also have a question about major choice. I read that your major doesn't matter for one's acceptance into med school. But what I was wondering what majors would help the most in med school and on the MCATS. At FDU we have General Biology as well as Biology with a concentration in Physiology. I know that this concentration will not help my application very much, but would taking some physiology course be a good predisposition for med school? In other words, would taking courses such as endocrinology and physiology during undergrad help me in med school because I will already know some of the material being covered? Also, would say a Biochem major help me get a better score on the MCATs because of the mix of biological and chemical questions? Any advice would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your prehealth advisors for a list of recommended premedical coursework. Most schools require about the same stuff. Then pick your major, most choose one that has a lot of overlap with these premedical courses. Others follow other passions. I am a Spanish major, for example. It may be beneficial not to change majors if you are well into it. They only want you to have a degree and get the requirements done.

Taking classes in physio, cell bio, microbio, pharm, anatomy, neuroscience and human behaviour will help you to some extent in medical school. I'd say the highest yield would be anatomy, microbio, and maybe physio. Honestly though, it probably won't help much. Focus more on what you think you will enjoy