Which university would be best for a pre-pharm student?

• UC Berkeley

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • UC Irvine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UCSD

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I would spend some time considering what you want to do with a pharmacy degree as opposed to preparing for pharmacy school.

stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
If I were you, I would look into other majors. There are too many pharmacy schools pumping out new graduates, and more of them opening each year. By the time you finish, you can expect to be $200k+ in debt and unable to find a job.

Computer science is a major that will land you much better job prospects, higher take-home pay, and better work conditions without the additional $200k+ in loans and 4 years of schooling needed to become a pharmacist. Computer science majors at UC Berkeley usually job offers of $100k+ salaries thrown at them before graduation.

OP
R
Sep 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I would spend some time considering what you want to do with a pharmacy degree as opposed to preparing for pharmacy school.
If I were you, I would look into other majors. There are too many pharmacy schools pumping out new graduates, and more of them opening each year. By the time you finish, you can expect to be $200k+ in debt and unable to find a job.

Computer science is a major that will land you much better job prospects, higher take-home pay, and better work conditions without the additional $200k+ in loans and 4 years of schooling needed to become a pharmacist. Computer science majors at UC Berkeley usually job offers of $100k+ salaries thrown at them before graduation.
Thanks for the replies, but that really doesn't help me, nor does it answer any of the questions I asked ^^;

stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies, but that really doesn't help me, nor does it answer any of the questions I asked ^^;
The short answer to your question is: that it doesn't really matter which school you go to, as long as you complete the prequisites. There are so many pharmacy schools now that just about anyone can get as long as you have a pulse and can secure $200k+ in student loans from the government or banks. The real hard part is landing a job to be able to pay off those loans and make ends meet after you graduate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

McPharmd

7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I would do business/economics at UCB or UCLA and take pre-reqs for pharmacy school at the same time. That is pretty manageable in my opinion. Computer science might destroy your GPA unless you are really good at it. Second option is to try to get into pharmacy school after 2 years of college. If you get into a three year program, you can finish in 5 years.

okaytran

2+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2015
Status
Pharmacy Student
I went to UCLA as an MIMG major. Your major doesn't really matter if you can successfully show you have an interest in Pharmacy through your application as well as maintaining a high GPA/PCAT in pharmacy related courses. If for some reason you're 100% committed to pharmacy despite the job outlook in ~5-8 years, I would try something like Biochemistry.

exiangwsu

2+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Ucsf does take fair amount of ucb and uc Irvine graduate. But really doesn't matter which undergrad u go to as long as u finish ur req.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
New Jersey
www.pharmapplicants.com
Status
Pharmacist
Undergrad major doesn't matter - I was a psych major in undergrad and went to USC followed by a post doc industry fellowship

Pre-reqs and grades matter though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sep 9, 2016
Status
Pharmacist
I think you are planning way too far ahead which is good and bad. I agree with keorcive that major doesn't matter but how you perform in Undergrad matters more and doing well in the pre-reqs. I would caution that UCSF rarely takes 2 years transfer although it might change, there are lot of people applying who have a bachelors or even have work experience so you better really have a good reason to get in early.

There are a lot of negativity about pharmacy being saturated so try to ignore it if you are set in pharmacy but think about what you want to do with the degree. This will help you shape your experiences and give you better understanding on what you can do with a pharmD.

As for dorm, schools etc.. just wait to see what school you get in to first and narrow it down yourself and then get more information. No point thinking about all this before you even get admitted haha. My brother is applying for college now, I wish he was thinking of all this lol. Good luck!