Majoring in biology

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BeastfromthEast

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i am planning on majoring in biology, but i keep hearing and reading that it is actually better to major in something non-science related and that med schools are actually looking for non bio/chem majors. how true is this? and to what extent? thanks my man!
 
Ill give you the generic SDN answer.

It doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you

1) do well in the pre-reqs
2) get a decent GPA
3) rock the MCAT

That being said, pick a major that you feel you will enjoy, not one that you think will " look good for med school"

Good luck
 
i am planning on majoring in biology, but i keep hearing and reading that it is actually better to major in something non-science related and that med schools are actually looking for non bio/chem majors. how true is this? and to what extent? thanks my man!


As has been stated numerous times before, medical school are looking for students who do well in their classes. If you enjoy biology and would be motivated to do well in it then major in that. If you are motivated by history do that. Its quite simple really. The only possible exception to the all majors are equal rule is engineering, but that is a discussion for another post.


Edit: I was beat to the punch 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As has been stated numerous times before, medical school are looking for students who do well in their classes. If you enjoy biology and would be motivated to do well in it then major in that. If you are motivated by history do that. Its quite simple really. The only possible exception to the all majors are equal rule is engineering, but that is a discussion for another post.


Edit: I was beat to the punch 🙁


Sorry Iapyx, my fingers are too fast for my own good.......hello arthritis. :xf: lol
 
I haven't heard that med schools are looking specifically for non-bio/non-chem majors, just that they're also receptive to applicants who don't major in the typical pre-med fields. Major in whichever field you want, but make sure that you do well in your pre-req courses and that you demonstrate an interest in science and in the medical field (shadowing, clinical experiences, research, etc.). Personally, I enjoyed bio and also found majoring in it convenient since I used a lot of required courses for my major to boost my science GPA. It's up to you, though.

EDIT: LOL, you are fast, FirefighterDoc.
 
I think it's a bad idea to major in something other than Biology for the sole reason of impressing adcoms. You'd be forcing yourself to study a subject you find less interesting for superficial reasons of questionable worth. And the whole admissions process makes you feel enough like a sheep as it is, don't let it influence your major.
 
dont worry im pretty much done asking questions. ive asked about every question i wanted to ask. thanks anyway

Well that's good. Now I'll answer.

I would major in whatever you think you will enjoy learning the most. I majored in Biology and thought it was lame, but later realized that I was able to take some great classes and learn what I wanted to learn. It didn't matter that I had one of the more common majors for pre-meds. Be careful with those narrow majors like Biochem and Neuroscience, they can be pitfalls and not all that different than your regular Bio.

If you start your major and realize it's not all you hoped it would be, then switch (as long as you're not setting yourself back a year or two).

Good luck.
 
My roommate in med school did not get into medical school on his first try. He spent two years working in the lab at UT Southwestern. He was able to sit in with the basic science classes.
He did quite well get when he got into medical school. Aced all the basic science classes and made AOA (top 15% of the class), which is a ticket to the most competitive specialties.
I majored in Biol and Bioch. Did well in courses that I already took in college, like Biochem, Physiology, Cell Biology etc. I'm glad that I did not have to study hard for these courses to get As; and this allowed me to work on Pathology. Pharmacology etc.
The key in med sch is to score high in course grades and on the USMLE. Nothing wrong with taking these courses while in college. Just know that the material comes faster in med class than college class.
Some people may do well despite majoring in engineering or something non pre-med related. I had classmates who had PhDs in Anatomy, Neuroscience, Biochemistry etc. These guys could teach the classes, but they took them and blew away the curve. Being able to study new subjects, and able to count on sure As in other classes is tremendously helpful since the amount of material covered in the basic sciences is ridiculous.
Good Luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad