Majoring in Geology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdiscouraged

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think Geology is a good major to choose?

I chose it because I would like to have a viable career that I could fall back on if I can't cut it in medicine. Also it takes care of diff, integral, and multivariable calc, 2 semesters of physics, and 3 semesters of inorganic chem. So I would have 2 sem. of orgo and bio left for prereqs right?

Anyway, what do yall think of this major?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whatever you're passionate about, sir. If you are committed to finding out the reason why you want to be a physician and then wish to be one, you won't need a backup.

Whatever you're passionate about, sir. If you are committed to finding out the reason why you want to be a physician and then wish to be one, you won't need a backup.

Agreed, choose something you like. Just because it satisfies a lot of requirements doesn't necessarily mean you will enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you Geology is a good major to choose?

I chose it because I would like to have a viable career that I could fall back on if I can't cut it in medicine. Also it takes care of diff, integral, and multivariable calc, 2 semesters of physics, and 3 semesters of inorganic chem. So I would have 2 sem. of orgo and bio left for prereqs right?

I would say this is an excellent major to choose. I personally work with an ED physician who was a geology major and worked as a geologist for years. He even began to tell me about how geology relates to the human body.
Very facinating stuff. He was telling me how much EKGs are like seismic readouts and the topology of the earth and its landmarks can be related to the human body.

You can't go wrong with that major IMHO.

Do you Geology is a good major to choose?

Do whatever you want and that interests you. I was an Econ major and that obviously didn't absorb any of my pre-reqs and I have been just fine so far this app cycle.

Goodluck

Agreed, choose something you like. Just because it satisfies a lot of requirements doesn't necessarily mean you will enjoy it.

No thats not at all why I chose geology! I adore learning about the natural world and I have wanted to be a geologist for a long time, but recently the medical profession has been drawing me.

I fear majoring in geology will kill my GPA and thus kill my chances, but I don't want to change majors away from something I find interesting just to help my GPA. Geology isn't traditionally thought of as a difficult major I know, but for some reason on the grade breakdowns I have seen for upper-div geo courses at my school, the profs only give like 8% As :(

Thanks for the advice everyone keep it coming!

Rocks are people too.

No thats not at all why I chose geology! I adore learning about the natural world and I have wanted to be a geologist for a long time, but recently the medical profession has been drawing me.

I fear majoring in geology will kill my GPA and thus kill my chances, but I don't want to change majors away from something I find interesting just to help my GPA. Geology isn't traditionally thought of as a difficult major I know, but for some reason on the grade breakdowns I have seen for upper-div geo courses at my school, the profs only give like 8% As :(

Thanks for the advice everyone keep it coming!

my advice is being in that 8 %:thumbup:

In before the :lock:

You posted the thread in 2 forums. Mods will therefore eat you alive mwahaha

oh my bad i didn't know, but the reason I posted in both is because I'm not sure if I will try for DO or MD schools

I had a geology class in Undergrad. The course definitely rocked!

I majored in Computer Science because I'm a geek at heart and fell into naturally. Being a little more diverse makes your application stand out in my opinion. There is a good possibility that the people who interview you might be familiar with chemistry or biology but possibly not in Geology.

This is where you can wow them with something they may not be well educated in and even teach them a thing or two. Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Take whatever interests you and will lead to you excelling the most in undergrad. It doesn't matter what it is. The only thing that matters is you take the pre-requisites for medical school concurrent to your undergrad degree.

If you really, really enjoy underwater basket weaving... major in that. :thumbup:

I'm a Geophysicist and have a minor in Geology. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I kept my GPA up, I think it's no harder to do than a Chem or Biochem degree would be. The upside was that I worked in my field for a while and you can save SOOOO much money because it pays so well....I paid for all of my school apps, travel to interviews and living for a year from what I'd saved. Plus you could go up north and basically pay of a year of school in 4 months. But still make sure you do all of the shadowing and stuff during your degree or else they'll think you're just a Geologist jumping ship.