Majoring in Healthcare Policy and Administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orioles4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I start, I'd like to say that my situation is a bit complicated. I am currently enrolled as a freshman undeclared business major at St. Bonaventure Univ. in New York. I have coordinated my schedule to begin taking all of the pre-req courses for dental school without becoming a biology major.

I was admitted into PSU- Main but elected not to enroll

Here is my situation: I chose St. Bonaventure with a transfer in mind from the start, specifically to Penn State. It is a smaller school, so I will have a better opportunity for more faculty interaction during the transition year, which I figure will help my GPA (also it is not as academically as competitive as Penn State). So essentially I figured I would spend two years there, building a solid base GPA and acclimating to college life. Then I would transfer into Penn State's business school and finish my undergraduate.

Turns out that their are stipulations that prevent non PSU students from transferring into the "Smeal College of Business". My only option to get into those programs at this point would be to spend a year at one of their branch campuses, which I will not do.

When I was on one of my visits to PSU, I was introduced to the major of Health Care Policy and Admin, which I didn't think much of, but have recently looked into. I am very intrigued by the curriculum and would like to pursue this major once I transfer.

How is this major looked upon by dental school admissions, ultimately is my question, and feel free to ask for any additional information, because I probably confused most people.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you fulfill the science requirements with good grades I'm sure the schools will look at it just as favorably as they would other majors.
Not to mention Health Care Admin is a pretty lucrative career these days so you'd have a nice backup.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!! I actually go to Penn State. I know a couple people who are HPA majors who are applying/applied to dental school. It's a great major and definitely relevant to the field. You'll still be taking all the prereqs so, assuming you do well in them, you'll be just as competitive as everyone else. Maybe think about minoring in biology to get more experience with higher level Bios. Also, look into Biobehavioral Health as well. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user