Make-up in photo for applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whyamionhere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't even think about these little things until I saw a flurry of similarly neurotic posts about photos coming in all over SDN, and saw some adcoms commenting on very minute details in photos that to them seemed unprofessional or would receive judgement. I understand that you don't want to give adcoms anything to subconsciously cloud their opinion of your application, so now I'm stressing a little too much about this damn professional pic.

Some background - I wear make-up pretty much every day and was planning to of course do the same in my photo. It's eyeliner I'm most concerned about. I have large eyes, and I wear some black eyeliner on top every day, but I feel that it doesn't look dramatic because my eye size and shape balance it out. It's done well, it's not thick, but it's there. I'm 23 and without it I look roughly 17 (work at a children's hospital and got mistaken for a patient).

@gyngyn, I saw in another thread with example photos you described eyeliner as "stark" and implied it was not a good look and may give adcoms a reason to judge. I don't want to give adcoms any possible material to subconsciously discredit my app.

Is black eyeliner done well fine? god damnit why do I even need to ask this. The rest of my makeup is natural - neutral eyeshadow, no fake lashes/bright lips or anything.

At first I assumed I was overthinking this, but the level of things people would consider unprofessional in a photo is alarming me.

Members don't see this ad.

That's actually the exact photo I was gonna submit.

But yeah I would definitely describe it as unobtrusive, and this may be biased but I actually feel like it helps me look more professional vs a child going to medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
I wear eyeliner almost everyday. I was wearing it in the photo I submitted and on interviews, and I never felt out of place. I have big eyes too, but just used a thinner line. I think good advice is to wear the makeup you are used to wearing on an everyday basis (unless that includes bright purple lipstick or copious amounts of glitter).

For eyeliner, I'd say that black is fine as long as you don't do a huge dramatic cat-eye. I wear black eyeliner every day, but I only tightline my eyes so just looks like my eyelashes are more voluminous. If you're super worried about black looking harsh in photos, do a warm brown or dark gray...that way your eyes still look "done" but it looks super natural. Again, with any color I'd recommend just a tightline and not any appreciable amount on your eyelid.

Use dark brown if you're that worrierd, blend it a little so it doesn't look like a stark obvious line, and curl your lashes + mascara(can be clear)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile